How to expot and import jobs through UNIX

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prams
Participant

How to expot and import jobs through UNIX

Post by prams »

Hi i have requirement to export the jobs from one server to onther server

through unix without using datastage manager.

any one can help me please

Thanks & Regards
Prams
jtsoong
Participant

dsadmin

Post by jtsoong »

have a search for the dsadmin command, that might help
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

have a search for the dsadmin command, that might help
The command dsadmin is NOT used for Project Export and Import purpose instead for Creating/Deleting a Project and Creating/Deleting Environment variable and many more.

Search on uvbackup and uvrestore can resolve your issue.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The dsadmin command is not for project import and export. Unfortunately, the uvbackup and uvrestore programs won't do that either. These commands are the DataStage Engine (well, UV Engine) commands to do the equivalent of a UNIX tar.

If you wish to export your project without using the clients, you can use the dscmdexport and dscmdimport commands.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW wrote:If you wish to export your project without using the clients, you can use the dscmdexport and dscmdimport commands.
The commands you refered are in the Client only but mostly in C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5.

These commands are nothing but command line Import/Export utilities available in the client(perhaps Windows).
prams wrote:i have requirement to export the jobs from one server to onther server

through unix without using datastage manager.
In Server (UNIX), there are NO such commands to which ArndW refers.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ag_ram - I wish I could make sense of your post. If I read it correctly, you assert that that the dscmdexport and dscmdimport (client-side) commands are not to be used to move jobs from one project to another, but that you were correct in recommending to the original poster that uvbackup & uvrestore should be used.

Since I strongly disagree, I would like you to explain exactly how you recommend doing this in a clear and concise step-by-step manner including the exact command-line options you recommend using.

(note - even though I have used these 2 programs in UniVerse since the early 1980s I can't think of a clean way of doing this as opposed to using the GUI or the 2 client tools listed above, but I am always happy to learn something new)
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW,

The requirement is to export Jobs from one server to another server through UNIX without using DS Manager.

I am in the same point telling you that the command line Import/Export utilities you specified are ONLY in Client systems and are used to export and import DataStage Components in command line.

There is nothing wrong in using those two programs(uvbackup,uvrestore) in the Server for backup and restore purpose but i recommend to have a clear understanding of each step and the internal implication.
Last edited by ag_ram on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW,

The requirement is to export Jobs from one server to another server through UNIX without using DS Manager.

I am in the same point telling you that the command line Import/Export utilities you specified are ONLY in Client systems and are used to export and import DataStage Components in command line.

There is nothing wrong in using those two prpgrams in the Server for backup and restore purpose but i recommend to have a clear understanding of each step and the internal implication.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... and Arnd is asking you to PROVIDE that clear understanding of each step, since you are advocating this approach.

You might also like to educate him about whatever it is you mean by "internal implication".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ag_ram - I have a doubt. You stated that you can export jobs (whether just one or a whole project) and import them into another project using uvbackup and uvrestore. I am asking you to prove this.

For example, I have a job called "Test" and would like to copy this to another machine. Please describe, step-by-step, what you propose the original poster should do in order to effect this.
[/b]
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Well ray.wurlod,ArndW

I with pleasure got 39 Search results when type uvback and search.

What is it, How to do it, Internal impact? - are all there. Most of the posts were made by ray.wurlod with more details and references.

And all relavant information is available in page# 550 UniVerse User Reference(9.6) as well.

We need to be more careful while backing up DataStage Hashed files using this method and a weight experimentation on uvback and uvrestore with a dummy project would give you enough hand-on and teach you 'how uncomfortable to do it after all' but we can do that.

I am sure that you both know this well.

Author(prams),

Try your most to accomplish backing up and restoring within DS Clients(GUI or Comamnd Line utilities). If not and there is no other go, learn these commands first and have experimental result with dummy project then use it with care.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ag_ram - Please don't change topics when you find that you have posted yourself into a corner. You have been asked to explain the use of uvbackup and uvrestore for this example and all you do is refer to "39 search results". That is as useful as someone asking about Oracle that "I get hundreds of search results for 'Oracle'" - the statement is true but means nothing in context.

You obviously have not thought about how to use uvbackup and uvrestore to do this - I can see that you have referenced the documentation, but have you actually ever used either program? Since you are not willing to admit that you have posted absolute rubbish, let me explain to you why this approach won't work

- the uvbackup program works on hashed files. A DataStage job is not stored in one hashed file, but in several files; and many of the entries pertaining to a job are in shared files.
- In order to backup a job, you would need to use undocumented facilities to find out what the job number is, and explicitly export the files for that job.
- uvrestore functions at a file level. But when you import job number 122 from project 'A' into project 'B' it won't get the same job number - unless you also import the DS_JOBS hashed file. Oh, but if you import that file then you lose all of the entries from project 'B'.
- I could go on for pages explaining single issues that would also need to be manually tweaked and fixed in order to successfully move one or more jobs. It could be done, but instead of several hours of work in order to make it work I would rather spend 30 seconds and use the documented export facilities that are provided as part of the product.

What does "a weight experimentation on uvback and uvrestore with a dummy project would give you enough hand-on " mean in English? What is a "weight experimentation" and why should someone else need to do it?

Although you have been asked to prove your assertion, you completely ignore that request and even have the temerity to tell me to "...uvrestore with a dummy project would give you enough hand-on and teach you 'how uncomfortable to do it after all' but we can do that". I don't need the hands-on experience to tell me how to use uvrestore & uvbackup - you are the one who need some hands-on experience in order to prove to yourself that there is a big difference between cut-and-pasting someone else's posts and actual production work.

You can use uvbackup and subsequent uvrestore to move a complete project from "a" to "b" - but even then you would need to tweak hashed file entries and use the Admin tool to create a dummy and empty "b" project first.

So, to be blunt, your posts on this thread are incorrect and misleading. Instead of accepting that you are incorrect, you start attempting to change the subject and throwing out spurious comments and quotes and nonsensical statements in the hopes that the thread will drift away from the actual problem at hand. This type of behaviour and argumentation (on both my part and yours) isn't beneficial to the DSXChange forum.

For the last time on this thread, either provide a step-by-step explanation using uvbackup and uvrestore or stop posting that it is a viable solution for the original poster's question of moving jobs from one project to another via the command line.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW,

Shall i turn back and recommend you to have a look at this post DataStage Backup and Recovery from Server. It will say all you needed and asked me to do.

Now i just like to see all history to know why that post was born in that way.

First i suggested the author to have a smart search on uvbackup and uvbackup to backup/restore Jobs from Server. But you stated that "Unfortunately, the uvbackup and uvrestore programs won't do that either" and advised him to do backup and recovery using dscmdexport and dscmdimport commands with the phrase "without using the clients". I suddenly held that phrase connoting the fact that the commands mentioned were in Client only not in server. (you might mean the Client GUI then). Later then you frankly asked me to explicate my short recommentation in a broad manner. But i just pointed out some of the reference which we have now to implement the same.

Here I am with your recent post on this.
Please don't change topics when you find that you have posted yourself into a corner. You have been asked to explain the use of uvbackup and uvrestore for this example and all you do is refer to "39 search results".
I did not change the topic but wanted to warn author how lamentable it would be, if experience not faced yet.
You obviously have not thought about how to use uvbackup and uvrestore to do this - I can see that you have referenced the documentation, but have you actually ever used either program? Since you are not willing to admit that you have posted absolute rubbish, let me explain to you why this approach won't work

Nothing is rubbish here. This way of backing up and restoring works well and would work well for ever.
So, to be blunt, your posts on this thread are incorrect and misleading. Instead of accepting that you are incorrect, you start attempting to change the subject and throwing out spurious comments and quotes and nonsensical statements in the hopes that the thread will drift away from the actual problem at hand
No meaning at all as i did not do any such.

Author,

I state that same again here with referring DataStage Backup and Recovery from Server.

Try your most to accomplish backing up and restoring within DS Clients(GUI or Comamnd Line utilities). If not and there is no other go, learn these commands first and have experimental result with dummy project then use it with care.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW,

Shall i turn back and recommend you to have a look at this post DataStage Backup and Recovery from Server. It will say all you needed and asked me to do.

Now i just like to see all history to know why that post was born in that way.

First i suggested the author to have a smart search on uvbackup and uvbackup to backup/restore Jobs from Server. But you stated that "Unfortunately, the uvbackup and uvrestore programs won't do that either" and advised him to do backup and recovery using dscmdexport and dscmdimport commands with the phrase "without using the clients". I suddenly held that phrase connoting the fact that the commands mentioned were in Client only not in server. (you might mean the Client GUI then). Later then you frankly asked me to explicate my short recommentation in a broad manner. But i just pointed out some of the reference which we have now to implement the same.

Here I am with your recent post on this.
Please don't change topics when you find that you have posted yourself into a corner. You have been asked to explain the use of uvbackup and uvrestore for this example and all you do is refer to "39 search results".
I did not change the topic but wanted to warn author how lamentable it would be, if experience not faced yet.

Nothing is rubbish here. This way of backing up and restoring works well and would work well for ever.
So, to be blunt, your posts on this thread are incorrect and misleading. Instead of accepting that you are incorrect, you start attempting to change the subject and throwing out spurious comments and quotes and nonsensical statements in the hopes that the thread will drift away from the actual problem at hand
No meaning at all as i did not do any such.

Author,

I state that same again here with referring DataStage Backup and Recovery from Server.

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ag_ram, please avoid double-posting everything.

If you get a timeout on Submit, just return to the forum - you will find that the first post succeeded - you don't need to click Submit a second time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.