Correct format for Remote Server string in Oracle Enterprise

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

perfman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Correct format for Remote Server string in Oracle Enterprise

Post by perfman »

I am trying to get data from a remote Oracle database and insert it in my local Oracle database. I have created a job with an Oracle Enterprise stage and have selected the Remote Server variable. Now I need to tell Datastage how to access the data so it will need the server name, port and SID for the remote server.

What format should this be in?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just the TNS name should suffice. The Oracle client can pick up everything else it needs from tnsnames.ora file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
perfman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by perfman »

Very disappointing that an expensive GUI-driven application like DataStage doesn't provide a GUI to enter in the details of the database I want to connect to. I don't have permissions to update TNSNAMES.ORA on the server so I had to bug the sysadmin.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It would not have made any difference. It's Oracle that needs the entry in tnsnames.ora. If you, as a DataStage developer, had such a GUI, you would still not have permission to put it in to tnsnames.ora where Oracle insists on it being.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.