Compiling a job in a protected project

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wademoore
Participant

Compiling a job in a protected project

Post by wademoore »

I am using DataStage version 7.51A. Using the dsadm id I can migrate code into a production "protected" project, but I can't compile the job in a protected project. Does anyone know a way around this without having to unprotect the project? :?:
Wade Moore
ETL Administrator
Target Corp
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... have you tried as dsadm using the Multi-Job Compiler from the Manager against the protected project?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
wademoore
Participant

Post by wademoore »

chulett wrote:Hmmm... have you tried as dsadm using the Multi-Job Compiler from the Manager against the protected project? ...
The Multi-Job compiler is not an option (grayed out) when the project is protected, but is an option when the project is unprotected.
Wade Moore
ETL Administrator
Target Corp
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Perhaps you will need to import the compiled code. (With executable). Ok in other words, you cant compile in Protected Project. Even Production Manager wont be having access.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's pretty much it, Wade. Protected means what it says. It's the whole SDLC (software development lifecycle) thing - nothing changes in production. So your choices, it seems to me, are two:
  • compile before exporting

temporarily un-protect the production project
The second option may be the only one available, for example if you develop parallel jobs on one platform and your production environment uses a different operating system/incompatible C++ compiler.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vyyuri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vyyuri »

1) Import Protected Jobs into Unprotected Project
2) Goto Manager Choose Multi Compile 3) You can able to comiple them
srinivas
lokeshreddy
Participant

Re: Compiling a job in a protected project

Post by lokeshreddy »

wademoore wrote:I am using DataStage version 7.51A. Using the dsadm id I can migrate code into a production "protected" project, but I can't compile the job in a protected project. Does anyone know a way around this without having to unprotect the project? :?:
Hi,

1) Try to make the changes in the job in DEV Environement and then compile it and then promote the same job to the protected Project.

2) Export the job and set the flag of read only to "0" and then Import the job and try compilin it in Protected Project.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A protected project has higher precedence than the READONLY flag.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.