$PROJDEF

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Rajee
Participant

$PROJDEF

Post by Rajee »

Hi,

The special string $PROJDEF setting is not recognised by the server and hence not able to view the file through the designer.
Can anyone let me know if there is any setting required in any config file,or the server for the special string setting to be recognised.

Tnx,
Rajee
mikegohl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mikegohl »

Where are you trying to use it?
Michael Gohl
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That and what exact 7.x version are you running?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
deanwalker
Participant

Post by deanwalker »

Have you set the value of the variable in the Administrator for that project, and restarted the Designer.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You do not use $PROJDEF in the Administrator. You set a "proper" value in the Administrator. You use the special token $PROJDEF as the default value of an environment variable job parameter. It does not work with standard job parameters.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Rajee
Participant

Post by Rajee »

mikegohl wrote:Where are you trying to use it?
Iam using it in the Datasatge designer.
Rajee
Participant

Post by Rajee »

mikegohl wrote:Where are you trying to use it?
Iam using it in the Datasatge designer.
Rajee
Participant

Post by Rajee »

chulett wrote:That and what exact 7.x version are you running? ...
Iam using 7.5.2.
Rajee
Participant

Post by Rajee »

deanwalker wrote:Have you set the value of the variable in the Administrator for that project, and restarted the Designer.
Ofcourse I have set value of the variables in administrator fr that project.
Rajee
Participant

Post by Rajee »

ray.wurlod wrote:You do not use $PROJDEF in the Administrator. You set a "proper" value in the Administrator. You use the special token $PROJDEF as the default value of an environment variable job parameter. It doe ...
Ofcourse I did not ues $PROJDEF in the administrator and i have set a proper value for the variables in the administrator and trying to use $PROJDEF in the designer only.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Then on what basis are you claiming that it's not being recognized? Look in the "job starting" event in the job log and report the values of job parameters being passed to the job.

It may be, of course, that this mechanism does not work with server jobs, only with parallel jobs. That also would need to be verified.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It does work. I just tested it. Here's what I see in the "job starting" event in the job log:

Code: Select all

Starting Job EnvVarParamTest.
$SEASON = Spring   [$PROJDEF]
It correctly picks up the default value for the project, and annotates that as being because the $PROJDEF token was encountered. What more could you want?
Rajee
Participant

Post by Rajee »

ray.wurlod wrote:It does work. I just tested it. Here's what I see in the "job starting" event in the job log:

Code: Select all

Starting Job EnvVarParamTest.
$SEASON = Spring   [$PROJDEF]
It correctly picks u ...
Agreed,even when i look into the job log i could see that the value is correctly picked up but in the designer window when i try to view the sequential file data i get an erro message as below

"BIOS_OUTNA_OWNDELT_FILE_GENERATION..TGT_BIOS_C069_OUTNA_HEADER_PART_OWNDELTFILE.TGT_BIOSFILE_DATA_HEADER_PART: DSD.SEQOpen Failed to open $PROJDEFBIOS_C069_OUTNA_OWNDELT_HEADER_PART
STATUS = 2."
This behaviour is very strange for me also.i dont get any clue for such error.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

<redacted>
Last edited by chulett on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Rajee
Participant

Post by Rajee »

ray.wurlod wrote:Then on what basis are you claiming that it's not being recognized? Look in the "job starting" event in the job log and report the values of job parameters being passed to the job.

It may be, of c ...
ok.let me explain you clearly.
1.The env variable that i am using is OUTNA_TARGET_DIR and i have set the directory path for that variable in the administrator.
2.I have imported that varible in the designer as a job parameter and have set the special string $PROJDEF property for the above variable in the default value column there.
3.Now in the sequential filestage i have used this variable to mention the sequential file path name as #$OUTNA_TARGET_DIR#BIOS_C069_OUTNA_OWNDELT_HEADER_PART
4.When i run the job i could find the job log holding the below message,
$OUTNA_TARGET_DIR = H:\DEV_LY00ODS_EE\Target\OUTNA\ [$PROJDEF]
5.But after the job run when i try to view the sequential file data i ge tthe below message as a pop up window.
BIOS_OUTNA_OWNDELT_FILE_GENERATION..TGT_BIOS_C069_OUTNA_HEADER_PART_OWNDELTFILE.TGT_BIOSFILE_DATA_HEADER_PART: DSD.SEQOpen Failed to open $PROJDEFBIOS_C069_OUTNA_OWNDELT_HEADER_PART
STATUS = 2.
now tell me what am i to claim for such a scenario.