UTF8

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The site where I am currently working uses UTF-8 almost exclusively, using Oracle databases. There are a couple of exceptions where external providers send text files encoded using Shift-JIS. DataStage copes perfectly well with both.

The only mapping error I've encountered is a Japanese hyphen character in a text file that was otherwise ASCII.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

ray.wurlod wrote:The site where I am currently working uses UTF-8 almost exclusively...
And can you load DataStage-produced UTF8 files into Excel?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes. But not directly because - being in Japan - Excel is set up to expect Shift-JIS. But you can specify different map if you open a worksheet then use the Import Data\Import External Data menu option (under Data menu, from memory). I think the field is called "File Origin" or something similar.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

Have you set the code page in the job design, not the OS where the DataStage Engine lives?

What stage are you using?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: UTF8

Post by chulett »

PhilHibbs wrote:Additional info: or should that be, WTF8?
Sorry, just noticed this and had to laugh. :lol:

Whew, better now.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers