Disabling Jobs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tracy
Participant

Disabling Jobs

Post by tracy »

Our jobs tend to have a lot of parameters, from file locations to passwords all of which need to entered when we schedule a job in production (because the defaults are usually the values we use in development and that's the way we want it).

After we schedule the job, we don't have to worry about entering those parameters again until we make changes.

I'm finding that there are times we would like to "disable" our jobs and not have them run at all. For instance, every month we have a "maintenance weekend" where all the systems are rebooted, serviced, etc. That often affects our jobs, as sometimes a job is running when a system is turned off and therefore the job gets stuck.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to disable jobs from running, preferably a universal setting that would prevent all our jobs from running for a few days.

I really don't want to unschedule the jobs, because then I have to reschedule them all and re-enter the parameters.

The only other option I can think of is to re-schedule the jobs and leave Friday, Saturday, Sunday off the schedule and then after the weekend passes, reschedule them for all 7 days again (rescheduling doesn't seem to require you to re-enter parameters).
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Do you use the DS Director or a third party scheduling tool ?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
tracy
Participant

Post by tracy »

We are using Director to schedule the jobs.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

AFAIK, there is no option in the DS Director to disable jobs from running.
If you don't want any datastage jobs to run, you could probably stop all the datastage services.
Probably there is a more graceful method? Lets wait and see.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Disabling Jobs

Post by chulett »

tracy wrote:So I'm wondering if there is a way to disable jobs from running, preferably a universal setting that would prevent all our jobs from running for a few days.
Nope, no such thing. At least not out of the box.
tracy also wrote:The only other option I can think of is to re-schedule the jobs and leave Friday, Saturday, Sunday off the schedule and then after the weekend passes, reschedule them for all 7 days again (rescheduling doesn't seem to require you to re-enter parameters).
That would work.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Windows Scheduler is the AT service. How about turning that off when you don't want anything to run?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That would turn everything off, not just the DataStage jobs in it - but if that is a viable answer one could do that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Specifically - Task Scheduler service listed under Services. It turns everything thing off that is in the scheduler, of which DataStage jobs probably dominate in your case.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle