Restartability while running multiple Datastage jobs through

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Mayur Dongaonkar
Participant

Restartability while running multiple Datastage jobs through

Post by Mayur Dongaonkar »

My requirement is to call three datastage jobs through a unix shell script. Shell script will call one job after another.
But if any job aborts, then during re-run shell script should start running the jobs from point of failure.

Example:
Shell script is calling Datastae jobs

A -> B -> C

If A completed successfully and B got aborted then during re-run shell script should run only jobs B and C.
We really do not want to create any temporary file on Unix to store status of jobs.

Could you please help me.
Mayur Dongaonkar.
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

You can do this using a job sequence. Any specific reason to use shell script?
Mayur Dongaonkar
Participant

Our scheduler will call only unix scripts.
Mayur Dongaonkar.
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

Build a sequence which takes care of restartability and trigger it using a unix script.
Mayur Dongaonkar
Participant

Sequencer will take care for restartablity. I agree with it. But we really do not want to build additional sequencer for this requirement. We want to keep it between single Unix shell script and multiple Datastage jobs in it.
Mayur Dongaonkar.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Mayur Dongaonkar wrote:We want to keep it between single Unix shell script and multiple Datastage jobs in it.
Why not keep it between a single Master Sequence and multiple jobs in it? The only thing that you will do from UNIX is to call dsjob to execute the master sequence. This way you can use your enterprise scheduler, and at the same time, have a single entity (Master Sequence) to monitor and manage.

Instead of spending time on changing your UNIX script, why not allocate that time to building a restartable sequence? Its more maintainable, and I assure you it won't take long.

But then, that's how I see it, others may wish to differ.
gateleys
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Agreed. It makes zero sense to try and recreate all that restart logic in a shell script when all you need to do is create a Sequence job that will handle all that automatically and then run the Sequence job via the script.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Mayur Dongaonkar wrote:We want to keep it between single Unix shell script and multiple Datastage jobs in it.
Then you're on your own. DataStage provides a tool: you choose not to use it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.