Sequence Design Question

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gagan8877
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence Design Question

Post by gagan8877 »

Hi Gurus

I have a design question. We are running DS 7.5.2 EE on windows 2003 server.

In parallel jobs, if we create multiple layers of sequences so that it doesn't look messy on the designer, does that have any implications? I mean if one sequence calls another sequence and the second sequence calls some jobs, then is that a better than design than simply using one sequence to call the jobs?

There are some jobs that were designed like this and were handed off to me, but I could not get a reason for that except that it looks a little neat and less crowded on the designer, but it adds to complexity while troubleshooting and maintenance.

Does DS load some executables, dlls, etc each time a sequence is called and does calling multiple sequences effect performance?

Thanks
Gary
"A journey of a thousand miles, begins with one step"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Calling/using nested job sequences to achieve a more modular, and therefore more maintainable, design is a "best practice". While an activity is executing its controller (the job sequence) is effectively sleeping, waiting for the activity to conclude. DLLs on Windows are, by their very nature, shared when the operating system is Windows. On UNIX, most functionality is also provided through shared libraries. So the only implication of more job sequences is more processes, but the impact is negligible and definitely worth it in terms of ease of maintenance.

I disagree that it makes troubleshooting more difficult - your comment suggests that error/warning handling has not been well thought-out by whoever put these sequences together.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gagan8877
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gagan8877 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Calling/using nested job sequences to achieve a more modular, and therefore more maintainable, design is a "best practice". While an activity is executing its controller (the job sequence) is effectively sleeping, waiting for the activity to conclude. DLLs on Windows are, by their very nature, shared when the operating system is Windows. On UNIX, most functionality is also provided through shared libraries. So the only implication of more job sequences is more processes, but the impact is negligible and definitely worth it in terms of ease of maintenance.

I disagree that it makes troubleshooting more difficult - your comment suggests that error/warning handling has not been well thought-out by whoever put these sequences together.
Thanks Ray. There are 15 different sequences that call 15 different subsequences or nested sequences. Which is what doesn't make sense to me. There should be one to call 15, so that we don't have to run 15 times, so as u r saying, should we create a third layer on top of those for execution ease (another sequence that calls those 15), if it doesn't effect performance?
Gary
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

gagan8877 wrote:should we create a third layer on top of those for execution ease (another sequence that calls those 15), if it doesn't effect performance?
Yes, you certainly can as long as it is valid to always run them together. And no, it won't affect performance any more than running the individual Sequence jobs would.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, unless the middle fifteen don't do anything in particular, in which case replace those with "the one sequence to rule them all".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gagan8877
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gagan8877 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Yes, unless the middle fifteen don't do anything in particular, in which case replace those with "the one sequence to rule them all".
Great! Thanks Guys :)
Gary