Getting Rid of Nullable Warning Messages

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dtatem
Participant

Getting Rid of Nullable Warning Messages

Post by dtatem »

Hi Folks:

My Data is being passed through the Aggregator stage and is being aggregated. I am trying to suppress this warning message which is coming from the Agg Stage. Though it mentions to use the Modify stage to handle null. I had no luck doing so. Plus I am not quite familiar with the modify stage. Its syntax is not that clear. I guess I can use the Message Handler but would like to get rid of it without using the MSG Handler.

When binding output interface field "AGG_FIELD" to field "AGG_FIELD": Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result;
a fatal runtime error could occur; use the modify operator to
specify a value to which the null should be converted.

I have the this column value set to "NO" for Nullable

If someone can provide an example of the syntax for using the Modify to handle null, this would be greatly appreciated. The column AGG_FIELD is of type Decimal.

Thanks,

dtatem
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Code: Select all

handle_null(InputColumn, value)
Specification: OutputColumn = handle_null(InputColumn, newvalue)
Specification: NOWARN
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dtatem
Participant

Post by dtatem »

Ray.wurlord:

Thanks for the feedback, but your suggestion did not work. I am still getting the same warning message

In the modify stage, I coded:

Specification: AGG_FIELD=handle_null(AGG_FIELD,0)
Specification: NOWARN

And I got:

agg_value: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "AGG_FIELD" to field "AGG_FIELD": Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result;
specify a value to which the null should be converted. [api/interface_rep.C:1384]

Thanks,
dtatem
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will get the warning irrespective - it's metadata-driven.

Create a local message handler to suppress it.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dtatem
Participant

Post by dtatem »

Ray.wurlord:

I got rid of the warning messages and here is how I did it. I decided to change the AGG_FIELD metadata to "YES" for Nullable. Then in a transformer I used the following code:

if IsNull(out_from_Ag.AGG_FIELD) then SetNull() else DecimalToDecimal(out_from_Ag.AGG_FIELD,'round_inf')

I am doing some rounding also.

Transformer, robots in disguise...

thanks

dtatem
sreddy
Participant

Please Resolve this warning

Post by sreddy »

SrcPARTCATHIERARCHY: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "isRecurring" to field "isRecurring": Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result;
specify a value to which the null should be converted.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are using Source as SQL Server and Target as DB2 , when i migrating in source side IsRecurring data type is BIT and Target IsRecurring data type is SmallInt.

Thanks
Genextec
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welome aboard.

Etiquette Notes
1. Do not hijack threads. This thread was resolved six months ago.
2. Ask a question. You didn't. Therefore we can't even determine whether you problem is the same as that resolved in this thread.

Therefore please start a new thread, in the parallel forum, and ask your question there. You use the New Topic icon to begin a new thread.