Problem reading EBCDIC file using CFF stage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rishisen
Participant

Problem reading EBCDIC file using CFF stage

Post by rishisen »

I am building a parallel job to read EBCDIC files coming from mainframe and do some processing on them. These files have an occurs field depending on a column.
The problem is the "Occurs" field has different datatypes in each row.The datatype of the "Occurs" field is determined by a value in one of the columns in the same file. I have 4 COBOL copybooks for 4 possible datatypes but I am not sure how to use them togather in one CFF stage to read the entire data in the file.
Anyone experienced similar problem? This is really a show stopper in our project.

Thanks in advance!
Rishi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Read Chapter 10 of the Parallel Job Developer's Guide in which it asserts that OCCURS DEPENDING ON is supported.

To manage the varying data type, you may need to create a custom, hybrid FD with appropriate REDEFINES, rather than trying to shoehorn four different copybooks into one stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.