Error in Connector Import wizard: "missing a handler po

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

val
Participant

Error in Connector Import wizard: "missing a handler po

Post by val »

I'm just starting with DS, going thru the Parallel Job Tutorial. I'm on PDF page 46 (printed page 40), doing Lesson 4.2 -- connecting to an ODBC data source via the Connection Import Wizard. My DB is on MS SQL Server 2000 sitting on another machine.

On the 2nd page of the Wizard, there's a single item listed in the Connector Selection panel:
Name=ODBC Connector, Type=ODBCConnector, Variant=3.5, Hosted on=<my DS server name>. When I click this item and click Next, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

DataStage was unable to attach to this connector.
An exception occurred while trying to send the request to the handler: Missing a handler pool for
[5874305.178a891c.711635ee.1128cdd30e0.2914b5c5.15ab].
So, I tried to import the metadata directly: Import > Table Definitions > ODBC Table Definitions.

In the Import Meta Data (ODBC) window, I'm able to select the DSN I set up on the DS server. I put in the username and password and hit OK, and the window grows briefly and shows "(Retrieving)" and then collapses and shows nothing. The DB account I'm using has "db_datawriter" privileges.

I escalated the privileges to "db_owner", and now I see the tables in the DB. I select the TUTORIAL table I created from the supplied creation script, and get no errors. The definition went into <project name>\Table Definitions\ODBC\<DSN name>\<db>.<owner>.TUTORIAL

So, I got the data in -- but didn't get it the way the tutorial wanted. The tutorial indicates the icon of the table def would be different since it came in thru a connector -- but mine has the same plain "table" icon as the rest.

Does anyone have any idea of the cause of the hard error above, and what to do about it? Secondly, if I'm inmporting directly, what are the minimm privileges the account needs for DataStage to list the tables in the DB? I assumed "db_datawriter" would work, because that lets me list and update tables. I'd rather not use highly-privileged accounts where I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Val
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

Unable to allocate... messages usually mean that some resource was not able to be obtained. In this case, for a handler pool, the resource is probably memory. Alternatively, there is a bug in the process for attaching your stage to a Connector - ask your support provider whether there are any known issues with the Connector/ODBC stage combination.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.