Anyone running DS 8 on AIX?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Anyone running DS 8 on AIX?

Post by lgharis »

While I am waiting to get my version of DS 8 for AIX I have a few questions. We have seen the installation guide but it probably raised as many questions as it answered.

1. Has anyone out there installed v8 on AIX?

2. Did you install on an existing DS server?

3. Did you upgrade or install a second (itag) instance?

4. I am confused as to whether it requires a Websphere installation on the DS server or Websphere on a network server. Does it require Websphere at all?

5. Did you upgrade from version 7.x?

6. How long does it take to install and become proficient at v8? It seems to me it will take some time to set it all up as far as repository, security, etc.
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Version 8.0.1 requires an application server for the domain layer - it comes bundled with WebSphere Application Server. Amongst other things this lets you run adminstration functions through a browser. It also requires a database repository of Oracle, DB2 or SQL Server and comes bundled with DB2 in case you don't have one.

You can install DataStage 7 and 8 on the same server but they will be competing for resources (RAM, scratch, datasets etc). It is much easier to uninstall version 7 before you install version 8. Export all your version 7 components and import them directly into version 8. This should be easier than trying an upgrade.

If you are familiar with DataStage 7 you will be proficient in 8 in no time at all since they have identical Designer interfaces (with a few enhancements). Most of the installation is performed by a wizard. I usually allocate 1-5 days for any DataStage installation to allow for troubleshooting. You should read all the prerequisite steps ahead of time and make sure you have any additional AIX components downloaded and already installed or ready to install.
lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lgharis »

vmcburney wrote:Version 8.0.1 requires an application server for the domain layer - it comes bundled with WebSphere Application Server.
Can we use a WAS instance running on a network server or does it have to run locally?
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The Metadata Server and WAS need to stay together as the WAS hosts the server. DataStage can be on its own server. The database repository can be on its own server. So you can put the entire Metadata Server layer on another server.