Weird icons showup for the stages on the canvas

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Weird icons showup for the stages on the canvas

Post by VCInDSX »

Hi Group,
When I have my DS Client up and running for a couple of hours, and if i try to add new stages to the job canvas, out of the blue the stage icons turn to a standard "two-outlet electric sockets with a wire and plug". I wish I could upload the image for reference, but I don't have a url to post this to :(.
wondering if anyone else faced this issue and/or if there might be something wrong in my client environment....

Thanks,
-V
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:D Yes, most of us have seen them I'd wager. That 'wall plug' is the generic icon it displays for a "plug-in" stage when it has no clue what the real graphic should be.

If you reboot or at least close out of the Designer session and come back in, is all well? Memory issues can cause it, I've seen over-zealous anti-virus programs cause it, all manner of things. Depends on if they are gone-gone or just temporarily gone.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Thanks Craig. So, I am not alone in this planet...:)
As you have rightly mentioned, it clears up if i close the designer and launch it again. I didn't have to reboot/restart my machine so far....
Some days everything looks fine.... other days it gets angry pretty soon and gets into this "Plug" mode....
I will go with the "close-and-reopen-the-designer" workaround, unless there appears to be some patch.....

Thanks,
-V
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's usually memory. Try not to have too many other things open.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

ray.wurlod wrote:It's usually memory. Try not to have too many other things open. ...
Thanks Ray. I will try to keep things at a minimum.
If possible, I will try and see if i can boost my RAM as well.

Thanks,
-V
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

I had submitted this to the IBM Support group (long time ago) and received some feedback during the end of last week.

It appears that the Engineering team was able to narrow this behavior to a path in their code where the client tools "lose/forget/" the working directory information. The default folder to be used in such cases for fetching the icons would then point to the generic "Wire-Plug" icon....

The suggested way to verify the messing up of the folder information by the tools was to try and launch external tools (Director e.g.) from within Designer, whenever the icons started turning to the "Wire-plug". The launching of the tool(s) failed with a "Failed to run Director" message.

The fix is available in version 8.1. (Most likely Q2 2008)

In case someone searches this topic..
-V
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Disabling animated screen savers can help, too.
:wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.