Is anyone using DataDirect XML products with DataStage?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Is anyone using DataDirect XML products with DataStage?

Post by chulett »

Or just have an opinion in general on using third-part tools with DataStage to generate large quantities of XML? I'm looking to see if there are any options to the XML Output stage when 12 to 18 million records need to be converted to XML.

I get spammed quite a bit for both their XQuery and now XML Converter products, so wondering if either of those would be appropriate? Or any other tool for that matter, not really picky.

Thanks for any info.

ps. XQuery. XML Converters.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In my case no; the very fact that they choose spam as their advertising channel would be a big negative for me (not to mention illegal here).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:lol: Guess I should have used a different verb as I didn't mean literally that is was unsolicited - I opted in to their mailing list. It's just that they are very proud of their tools, it seems.

So, you've had no need to worry about large volumes of XML? Or pondered life beyond the XML Output stage?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Very few (none) of my clients uses XML in their ETL strategy.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, maybe Uncle Ernie will wander in to our little Holiday Camp and give us his two cents on the issue. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

We're not gonna take it!
8)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Never did and never will! :lol:
-craig

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

aah, ease up on DD. :) Data Direct has some very good tools and are a very good partner of DataStage... However, we haven't needed their tools on the XML front for "typical" DataStage activities. Keep in mind that DataStage in its current form is a tool whose transformation model, like most all ETL tools, is heavily relational based... (works around rows and columns). Where XML work is relational, things are typically straightforward and will continue to be --- most often for reading xml (however complex) and breaking it into multiple tables, or taking mostly relational data and creating XML. While "sometimes" complex xml targeting is needed, or XML to XML, it isn't that often (only once in awhile in this forum). Most [there are always exceptions] of the xml work done in ETL style tools is parsing it and loading into a relational target. I have an action item to dig into DD's capabilities here to determine it's value to _any_ ETL tool, but it hasn't made it to the top of my "to do" list. If I find something cool (or if you find something cool, let me know), I'll pass it on to the appopriate folks. I'm just a lowly field guy. ;)

Ernie
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks, Ernie. Appreciate any sage advice you can pass along.
eostic wrote:aah, ease up on DD. :)
Not a Who fan? Miss the 'Tommy' references in all the bantering? :wink:

Or are we going back to the 'spam' statements?
-craig

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Yes...saw them....it was late so I missed making a comment. Was never a "big" Who fan, but saw the movie and wore out the album. :) We're dating ourselves of course. Mostly these days I hear references to Sesame St. ;)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Wore out two copies of the vinyl LP, I think the CD is wearing out too! :cry: