Moving from DS Server to EE

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Perwezakh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Moving from DS Server to EE

Post by Perwezakh »

Hi,
Currently we are running our DataStage and Quality Stage jobs on 7.5 Server version. We are thinking to use Enterprise Edition capabilty on 7.5 version. I have following question in this regard
1: What will happen at the time of instalation of EE, does EE will get install as seperate identity or it will update some server system files
2: I know we have to re-engineer some of our server DataStage jobs to use EE capability, but do we have to update each and every DataStage/QualityStage server jobs to just make it run
Thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. You will retain existing server job functionality exactly as it is. Enterprise Edition gives you additional (parallel job) functionality. The two co-exist and do not, generally speaking, overlap.

2. No. You make a cogent decision as to which jobs will benefit from a parallel execution model, primarily based upon data volume.

Looking ahead to version 8.0, parallel jobs are the only kind that support the new QualityStage stages. But the current (old?) QualityStage plug-in stage remains available.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Your existing DataStage and QualityStage jobs will run without any modifications on both a DataStage EE 7.x and 8.x implementation. On 7.x the full server environment runs alongside the parallel environment. So you only need to convert server jobs to parallel jobs if you want them to take advantage of the parallel processing to run faster. On version 8 DataStage server jobs still run and are easily upgraded.

For DataStage jobs using the QualityStage plugin there is not much sense converting them to enterprise version 7 jobs because you will need to convert them again to version 8 at a future date. QualityStage jobs do not convert to version 8 as easily as DataStage jobs. They are not fully compatible.

So I think the best migration is to keep your server edition production environment, create a version 8 development environment. Migrate your server edition DataStage 7 to 8. Convert your high volume server jobs to parallel jobs. Rewrite your QualityStage 7 jobs to parallel 8 DataStage/QualityStage jobs. Keep some QualityStage jobs running without conversion as legacy applications that cannot be modified until such time as you can decommission or rewrite them.
Perwezakh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Perwezakh »

ray.wurlod wrote:1. You will retain existing server job functionality exactly as it is. Enterprise Edition gives you additional (parallel job) functionality. The two co-exist and do not, generally speaking, overlap ...
Currently I am not a premium member, so can please send me you full detail. It is very valueable to me and many more
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For only a few cents per day you can be a premium member.

Premium membership revenue is 100% devoted to bandwidth costs of DSXchange. By buying premium membership you are not only helping yourself, you are also helping DSXchange to stay operational.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.