Error in sequential file

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sjordery
Premium Member
Premium Member

Error in sequential file

Post by sjordery »

Hi all,

I am getting the follwing error(warning msg) in the sequential file(out put) while running.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sequential_File_31: When checking operator: A sequential operator cannot preserve the partitioning
of the parallel data set on input port 0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
my design approach is like this

seq_file----->transformer--------->sort----------------->seq_file_31

The partioning method in the out put seq file is by default auto.
Then what the error is exctly saying?
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

In the sort stage set the preserve partitioning property to clear from the drop down.
sjordery
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjordery »

Thanks Maveric its working fine nw.
Can you please specify what was the problem?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Sort stage previously had its preserve partitioning flag set to the default, namely Preserve. This instructs the downstream stage to try to preserve the partitioning of the data that entered the Sort stage.

Since the downstream stage is perforce required to operate in sequential mode, it is unable to do so, and therefore generates the warning and applies a collector to the data.

Setting the preserve partitioning flag to Clear removes the requirement to ask the downstream stage to preserve partitioning, so it can apply the collector without generating the warning.

If you want the entire data to remain sorted, open the Input link to the downstream Sequential File stage and change the Collector type to Sort Merge.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.