SQL Reference for DataStage Universe Tables

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Basavan
Participant

SQL Reference for DataStage Universe Tables

Post by Basavan »

Hi,

I need some reference to retrive data from DataStage Universe tables.

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What exactly do you want fromt he repository tables? Kim is the leader in querying repository tables. You can search for code by his id "kduke". There are others as well. Search will help.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Basavan
Participant

Post by Basavan »

[quote="DSguru2B"]What exactly do you want fromt he repository tables? Kim is the leader in querying repository tables. You can search for code by his id "kduke". There are others as well. Search will help.[/quote]

Thanks DSGURU,

I need to see what are all the tables and looking to query job log from the tables into a file.

so, I need some SQL reference for list of tables and describe specific table like that.........!

Could you pls refer me or send if you have some info regarding that.

Thanks again.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:idea: Rethink your approach - use the published APIs. There are 'DSGetLog' functions you can use from a job to accomplish this and command line equivalents as part of the 'dsjob' command if you prefer a scripted approach.

You also need to uncheck your 'Disable BBCode in this post' option.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Craig is right. Use the dsjob command to redirect your log to a file. Utilize the power of unix to parse your own custom log.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage repository tables are deliberately bereft of metadata. This is primarily because "they" make use of the non-first-normal-form features of "UniVerse" to store objects and collections of objects, which can not be readily access via SQL. The other reason, of course, is to discourage hacking the repository. They reserve the right to change the structures in these tables, and have done so in the past. Stay with the API - it will continue to work when your hacks start to fail because of strucural or other changes. For example in version 8.0 you get your metadata by invoking a metadata delivery service, rather than querying repository tables directly - the repository may not even be on the same machine as the DataStage server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.