SQL Server 2005 64bit ODBC Connection

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roy
Participant

SQL Server 2005 64bit ODBC Connection

Post by roy »

Hi All,
I'm trying to connect to SQL Server 2005 64 bit.
Using existing 4.2 DataDirect drivers.
I fail connecting to it (posting from home, so exact error will be posted later).
I was told that 64 bit SQL Server doesn't support ODBC all together :(.
Does anyone have any info or experiance working with this 64bit version of SQL server 2005?
I was trying to install the latest version of DataDirect from Eservices but the tar file doesn't seem to open successfully (failing on the wizard's jar file)
Thanks in advance for your time...
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I connect to SQL Server 2005, just need to check if its 64 bit. Can't do that untill tomorrow. But there is an option, something to the effect "SQLServer 2000 compatable", make sure you have that enabled.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I confirmed it with my DBA. We do have 64bit SQL Server 2005. The driver we are using is DataDirect 5.0
I connect to it, no problem.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

We connect to 64 bit 2005 sql server using datadirect 5.2. I was told by IBM that only 5.2 is certified for 2005. We had/have issues with dynamic porting, but it does work with static ports.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Thanks for the replies :)
Static ports you say :roll:
I hope the DBA will know what that means :roll:
Will update on how it goes
(entering hollydays here so might take 2 weeks to confirm :()
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Mostly databases are set up on static ports, atleast on all sites I have seen that use SQL Server. I am guessing its the same at your place too roy.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

The sql server browser service is new with 2005 and it is the default configuration for sql server. I could not get the default configuration to work with the odbc driver. That is, I could not use a named instance and connect to the sql browser service to retrieve the port of the running instance. We had to avoid the browser service and directly connect to the running instance by forcing the port number in both the odbc DSN and the sql server instance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I can sense a DataStage (ODBC stage) enhancement request coming on. Who'd like to be first? There's a forum here for exactly that - all posts are forwarded to IBM, and we can guarantee that they are looked at there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.