Installing MCM

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsdoubt
Participant

Installing MCM

Post by dsdoubt »

Hi,

Iam facing issue with Installing MultiClient manager. I have version 7.0, and wish to install 7.5 to access 7.5.1 server. While installing MCM, I am getting,
"The supplied account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified"

But the account Iam using has Admin rights. Password is correct.
The user id is a valid user id.
Iam damn sure about it.

Because of this, I could not access both server simultaneously.
Any pointers, highly appreciated.
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Iam using the Client machine's user id (Windows Proff 2002 - SP2).
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You need to use a userid/password combination valid on the DS server, not the client.

If you try the same account/port/userid/password combination from a PC without MCM does it work?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ArndW wrote:DS server, not the client.
Arnd, It should be Client's and not server's authentication, isn't?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I think he's trying to login to the DataStage server, so that userid/pwd combination is the one to use.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's very confusing, I remember having the same problem the last time I installed the MCM but don't really recall the solution as it's been quite some time. I do remember smacking myself on the forehead (doh! <smack>) when I finally made it work. :wink:

I do believe Arnd is right.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

ArndW wrote:I think he's trying to login to the DataStage server, so that userid/pwd combination is the one to use. ...
Hi Arnd,
As I mentioned, Iam trying to install MCM. If I skip that intallation, I can log in to my Server using server user id/pwd using other clients.
To install MCM, it is asking for Local machine Admin user, the one which I gave. It wont accept if I give some other user which is not user's list of that local machine.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's correct - you must give a user ID that is a local Administrator for that machine - you can not install as a domain Administrator (unless that user is also a local Administrator).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Ray, When I check the user in 'User Accounts' option avaialble in Windows, it shows as "Computer Adminstrator".
May I know, how to identify whether its domain Adminstrator or Local Adminstrator.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I normally use the user ID Administrator, which is always the local Administrator user. I don't know the answer to your question.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

I tried in another Laptop as well. Where the available user id is just the Adminstrator. Still, Iam facing the same issue.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

dsdoubt wrote:I tried in another Laptop as well. Where the available user id is just the Adminstrator. Still, Iam facing the same issue.
I just ignored the User_ID and Password and just hit "Cancel" and I had no problems using MCM. Try it and let us know.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

No, it wont connect to 7.0. If I do that, it will only connect to 7.5.1.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, now I've go a doubt. Are you trying to install MCM, as per your subject, or to use MCM? I've been assuming the former.

If the latter, where did you install the DataStage 7.0 client and where did you install the DataStage 7.5 client?
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Ray, your assumption is right. I have two server 7.0 and 7.5.1. So I installed version 7 clinet in my PC, and later Iam trying to install 7.5 client. As a part of 7.5 client installaion, Multi Client Manager will be installed (Optionally). During the Installaion of MCM, it asks for Admin Userie/pwd to install the services. As per Whae suggestion, if I cancel it and click on the Datastage MultiClient Manager (Icon is available), I ll get

Code: Select all

Unable to open a connection to the DataStage Multi-Client Manager Service. Please ensure the service is installed and started. 
I dont find any services available related to Datastage in "Services", which I can start.
Now I ll be able to login to 7.5 only.