Sequential file to XML Output

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

divya_ascential
Participant

Sequential file to XML Output

Post by divya_ascential »

Hi

I have recently joined an IT firm.

Currently iam supposed to work with Ascential datstage,
I need to create a job which has sequential file(.csv) as input and need to get a .xml file as output.

Iam a newbie to ascential datasatge.
plz let me know in detail how to start and what to do

Thanks...
-Divs-
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

The first thing to do is to post your question in the correct forum. This forum is so that you can tell the world how great (or bad) you believe this site (DSXchange) to be.

The second thing you need to do is to get some training. The vendor (IBM) offers standard classes on which your employer should enrol you. There are also some third party providers of DataStage training.

It is completely unreasonable to expect this site to do your work for you, as I'm sure you understand. For example, do you know enough about DataStage even to understand a simple response such as "design a job with a Sequential File stage, a Transformer stage and an XML Writer stage, preferably with the source file directory name as a job parameter"? What about metadata management? Running under control, perhaps in a suite of other jobs? Scheduling?
Do you know enough to make an informed decision between using a parallel job (which you've specified) and a server job (which may be preferable, depending on the particular circumstances)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

perfectly agree with ray. this site can bail you out of trouble but cannot teach you how to walk.

learn how to walk and we will help you learn how to run:-)
divya_ascential
Participant

Thanks

Post by divya_ascential »

Ok thanx 4 ur wonderful responses...

iam really sorry 4 that question
which u interpreted to be expecting the site to do my job....

Now my question is i know
i have to design a server job with sequential file as input and an XML output stage.

Also,i have loaded the .csv file
but donno how to write XPath Expressions fro the colums tab in input of the XML Output

Hope u wil help...

Thanx...
-Divs-
sateeshbabu
Participant

Post by sateeshbabu »

Divya,

Please find some tips w3schools+org in google.

sateesh.M
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted early, please post your actual question over in the appropriate forum.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Daniel Zackrisson
Participant

Re: Thanks

Post by Daniel Zackrisson »

divya_ascential wrote: but donno how to write XPath Expressions fro the colums tab in input of the XML Output
Hi divya! I'm working with the same kind of job. To generate the Xpath definitions you would want to load your .xsd into the XMLMetaDataImporter.exe (A small stand alone program you'll find in your DataStage Folder) and create table definitions. MetaDataImporter will generate the xpaths for you.

Back in the designer I loaded the tabelldefinitions under the table definitions for your sequential file. Then I just cut and pasted the Xpath expressions on the right row in the description column. (There might be a better way to do this but it worked fine for me.. :)

For more info, please see the XMLPACK_20_Designer.pdf availible in the same folder as you found the XMLMDImporter.exe

good luck!
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

Obviously, this belongs somewhere else. Any suggestions where from our experts?
Walter Hardeman
Webmaster
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I would pick server because he is on Windows but his profile also says parallel.
Mamu Kim
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Based on lack of info - moved to General Forum.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020