Add annotation to job

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wuruima
Participant

Add annotation to job

Post by wuruima »

For easy reading I would like to add annotation to the parallel job.

for example, I would like to help the reader to understand the usage of a transfomer, so I create an annotation panel cover the transformer stage. and input words in it.

After I finish, I found the job looks bad, is there any good design for reference? For easy reading and look beautiful.
wuruimao
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I for one would never use an annotation to "cover" any other stage. Not sure what others do but we used them on the canvas somewhat sparingly and more for high level topics regarding the job. For something like what you want to do, 'understand the usage of a transformer', IMHO that should go in the object itself, specifically on the General tab of the Properties, which oddly enough is exactly what that is for.

Granted, it doesn't jump in your face like an annotation does but as a standard, knowing that you could always look there (and we require most objects to be annotated) to see whatever needs to be known about the goings on in the stage is a good thing.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

It is nice to have annotation with text that are not crossed by any links or link names. Just move the annotation above or below the stage you want to highlight and resize it as needed. You can play with the justification (top or bottom). We like to increase the default font size a bit too, because the default is becoming harder to read!! :wink:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Annotations never cover stages - they always display behind them.

There seem to be two schools of thought: small discreet annotations adjacent to a single stage, or large annotations that run behind a stage or group of stages.

I have personal standards around colour schemes, etc., for annotations for different purposes.
  • description annotation
    stage description
    multi-stage annotation
    additional information
    container information
    warning
    SQL annotation
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

We run large annotations that cover the stage(s) that are referenced in the comment and color code them as well. We try to keep our jobs at 90 degree angle connections as much as possible so its easy to put text above or below the stage(s) without problems.

It shouldnt be too hard to come up with a strategy that is appealing to you and readable. People do things differently but the one thing that makes this hard is having lines going every which way -- unavoidable in a few jobs but for the most part you should probably only have 1-3 outputs per stage and most will only have 1.