Can we customize the operations console

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JKenklies
Premium Member
Premium Member

Can we customize the operations console

Post by JKenklies »

We are running DataStage with the dsrfcd daemon which is to provide communication to the SAP system.

Is there a concept or manual on how to customize the Operations console to show the status of processes like this in addition to the other services like appwatcher, resmonapp and so on?

(Maybe there are also other information sources that are worse to monitor in the ops console...)
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

The only customization that can be done on the Operational Console is to vary the amount or frequency of the statistics it grabs. It isn't designed to be modifiable.

However, if you wanted to design your own interface you could do so. You'd just have to be VERY good at pulling information out of the Operational database (which is documented).
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I concur with what Andy posted. They (IBM) made the operations database open and, as well, exposed part of the common metadata repository through views, so that you can "roll your own".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JKenklies
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JKenklies »

Of course I can fetch information from the DSODB and build my own dashboard around it, but that's not the main question here. I doubt that the status of the dsrfcd service isn't even captured and written to the DSODB, which would be first part of the customization concept. Including this information into the dashboard (or to my custom one) would be the second step.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

No - but you can do what the Ops console does and check for the presence of the proper background processes.

Even if you don't use High Availability, the HA scripts are really useful in that they can be used to check status of the various processes. You can find them in installdir/InformationServer/HAScripts.

Here's a link showing what the scripts do.

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledg ... tsref.html

Be careful playing with them - the scripts can also stop / start the various processes!
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020