trying to dynamically schedule SEQ jobs in Data Stage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ep_datastage
Participant

trying to dynamically schedule SEQ jobs in Data Stage

Post by ep_datastage »

Hi, I am new to DS and trying to dynamically schedule SEQ jobs in DS based upon values on a DB2 table. Can I do that and how do I accomplish that?

Thanks again
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no such thing out of the box but that doesn't mean you couldn't cobble something together. What kind of 'values' are in this table?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ep_datastage
Participant

Re: trying to dynamically schedule SEQ jobs in Data Stage

Post by ep_datastage »

The values will determine which SEQ job will be scheduled and run. So based upon the value I would like to have a particular DS SEQ job run.

Thanks again
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Was hoping for something more... detailed. So the 'values' are job names? Is there more to it than that, like a time to run it or is that literally all that is in the file? The more details you provide, the quicker we can get to an actual answer / solution. :wink:
-craig

ep_datastage
Participant

Post by ep_datastage »

Sorry,

Yes the values will include the job name, as well as the time it should run. That should be all that is needed. Currently I have 3 SEQ jobs that need to run based upon the values on this control table. But the SEQ jobs should only run if the date/time values from the control table meet the run criteria.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks again
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ep_datastage wrote:But the SEQ jobs should only run if the date/time values from the control table meet the run criteria.
Thanks. Can you clarify what 'meet the run criteria' means? I could make an assumption but I'd really rather not.
-craig

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Based on the brief description, what you are asking for is what is provided by scheduling software. We use Control-M, but there are others available.

Control-M provides all that you ask and more, except that the final interface to DataStage is what you provide. We use a Unix script that accepts parameters from Control-M, builds a command line and invokes DataStage with it.

I suggest you investigate these scheduling products before spending the time trying to create one yourself.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We just went through an acquisition of Control-M, you'd have to be willing to pay a goodly amount for the "and more" part. :wink:
-craig

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

"How did you get up there?"

"It wasn't easy!"

-- Big Trouble in Little China

8)
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872