MAX length of pwd field in Linux - DS

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Umeshkn1704
Participant

MAX length of pwd field in Linux - DS

Post by Umeshkn1704 »

Hi Team,
Can you please let me know if there is any max length defined in Datastage under linux platform. We are currently using the IIS 8.7.0.1 under RHEL LINUX 6.7 (Santiago) platform. One of the parallel job has pwd field parameterized. Lately the DB2 changed the pwd to be 9 character. As a DS admin, I logged into DS admin client and changed the pwd value to the value specified (length of pwd was 9 character). I closed the environment variable window after update and to revalidate, I opened it again, I could see only 8 characters now. And even the jobs are failing due to this.

Can you please let me know if there is any max length that is set to pwd field in IIS 8.7.

Thanks in advance
Umesh
Thanks
Umesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

"the DB2 changed the pwd"? So this means a database password was changed and you also have a environment variable of type Encrypted you are trying to make hold the new (increased in length) password, yes?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Umeshkn1704
Participant

Post by Umeshkn1704 »

Thanks Chuck. That's right. Through the admin client I enter 9 characters and close the window after updating the environment variables. if I open the environment variables window, it shows on 8 characters. Any idea why the truncation is happening... Strange though !!!
Thanks
Umesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Chuck. :wink:

Sorry, no idea. None of those variables come with a length specification. You should contact your official support provider to see what they have to say on the subject while you wait for a more helpful reply. Perhaps a patch is in order.
-craig

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I think the user interface always shows 8 dots in an encrypted parameter field, no matter the actual length of the value. I really do not think it is truncating the value. We have a lot of passwords that are longer. The places I have run into password problems is when trying to use one of the many special characters that are restricted. Read through this first to be sure.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledge ... ml?lang=en
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Umeshkn1704
Participant

Post by Umeshkn1704 »

Thanks alot, This surely helps.
Thanks
Umesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Was wondering about that. So what was the actual resolution - were they using 'special characters' in the password?
-craig

Umeshkn1704
Participant

Post by Umeshkn1704 »

Hi Chulett,
Per the information shared in the link, it states that pwd cannot exceed 8 characters when OS is AIX, Solaris and LINUX. The pwd which we had didn't have any special characters - it just had Alphabets and numbers.
Thanks
Umesh