DataStage and Quality installation separately?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

laxman.ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage and Quality installation separately?

Post by laxman.ds »

Can you please advise on installing DataStage and QualityStage on separate servers?

Is it feasible to have such installation topology in considering separate license. In such case, we do have to install engine tier on two server machines, which is possible?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes it is possible but you are right, you would need at least two engine tier machines (with concomitant PVU implications).

When you license QualityStage alone, you get more than 50% of DataStage anyway. All the components that QualityStage and DataStage share.

When you license DataStage alone you get none of the QualityStage components.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
laxman.ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laxman.ds »

Thanks Ray,

If we have individual product level licenses as below,
8 Core for QualityStage
4 Core for DataStage
4 Core license for Information Analyzer
4 Core license for Information Governance Catalog
(mentioned Core license actually its in PVU for better understanding I have given in Core)

Now for Installation Topology Option 1,
8 Core Machine - Engine tier (with DS, QS, IA)
4 Core Machine - Services tier + MetaData Rep tier (with DS, QS, IA & IGC)
Is this topology option 1 align to the mentioned license?

Or another Installation Topology Option 2,
8 Core Machine - Engine tier (with QS)
4 Core Machine - Services tier + MetaData Rep tier (with DS, QS, IA & IGC)

Kindly advise on above topologies option as per the license mentioned and if there is any other best way we can do it. Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IBM doesn't really care what topology you use, so you can allocate your cores on however many (or few) machines you like.

It's good that you realise the importance of keeping the services and repository tiers close together.

Separating Information Analyzer is a good idea if you want to schedule profiling at the same time as DS/QS tasks, but unimportant if you can schedule them at times when DS/QS tasks are not running.

I don't think there's any real need to separate DS from QS, since their workload profiles tend to be similar. But it's not wrong to do so.

The thing that might catch you out is disk space, particularly for the Information Analyzer analysis database. Size this at five times the volume of data to be profiled. The "official" sizing is a bare minimum, and is never enough.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
laxman.ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laxman.ds »

Again Thanks Ray,

I would like to understand how license to be validated (in terms of cores) against machine core on which installation is done?
Suppose, by having 8 core license for QS and 4 Core license for DS, if we go and install engine tier for both QS & DS on 8 core machine and services & matadata rep tiers on 4 core machine is this installation aligns to the license? Kidnly clarify.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IBM trusts you not to exceed your licensed limits. You agreed to allow them to audit this any time they choose. In some cases, particularly virtualized environments where it's so easy to change the number of cores, they may insist upon monitoring software (such as ILM) being in place.
laxman.ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laxman.ds »

Hi! Ray,

Would like to be preventive rather than corrective later, to have installation which aligns with license.

I'm looking for your point to understand with QS 8 Core + DS 4 Core license, can we go ahead and install Engine tier with QS + DS on 8 Core virtual machine?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

If you have enough DataStage PVU licenses for 4 cores and you install it on a server or LPAR with 8 cores that are active and available, then you are out of compliance with that license.

If you have a separate PVU license for QualityStage, then you need to go to the IBM site and look at the license information documents and read through those to see what else may be included, and at what PVU ratio.

Have you talked to your local sales team? They can help answer your questions too, and guide you in the right direction.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
laxman.ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laxman.ds »

Thank you for the input, I couldn't find one on IBM, really would be helpful if you refer the link to understand the PVU license versus installation topology we adopt to install the products in the suite. Since we are going with wider tool usage for this installation which should be scalable and best solution. But only thing I would need to validate desired topology versus license we have. Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

laxman.ds wrote:Hi! Ray,

Would like to be preventive rather than corrective later, to have installation which aligns with license.

I'm looking for your point to understand with QS 8 Core + DS 4 Core license, can we go ahead and install Engine tier with QS + DS on 8 Core virtual machine?
You would be violating your DataStage licence. Unfortunately there is no "affinity" or other mechanism that limits DataStage execution to particular cores.
laxman.ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laxman.ds »

Yea Ray, got your point, only way we have to install engine tier on two machines, one for QS with 8 Core and other for DS with 4 core. I hope, this way violation doesn't occur.
However if we install services + metadata rep tiers along with engine for IA and MDWB on a separate machine other than the two used for DS & QS engine machines, which can be 4 core is OK as per license or still we get violation? Please clarify.

Now, topology looks like:
Machine 1 with 8 core: Engine for QS (for 8 core QS license)
Machine 2 with 4 core: Engine for DS (for 4 core DS license)
Machine 3 with 4 core: Engine for IA, MDWB + Services + Metadata Rep (for 4 core IA, 4 core IGC individual licenses)

And apart from above products, we are looking to install CDD on virtual machine where DS Engine is stalled. Please validate. Thanks.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Go to ibm.com and search on "license information document." It will lead you to a page where you can search on LI docs for a specific product, like QualityStage or Information Server. It helps to know exactly which edition you have. Sometimes it helps to know the part numbers involved. Here is a link.

https://www-03.ibm.com/software/sla/sladb.nsf/search/

If you're doing sub-capacity licensing or virtualization licensing, then there is a presentation/PDF that may help someone understand PVU licensing and all the options and rules better. It may take many, many, many, many passes. Here is a link.

Virtualization Capacity License Counting Rules
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/passport ... ogies.html

IBM usually has what is called a pre-sales technical representative who can work with you and help guide you and answer these sorts of questions and explain your options. I would still suggest that you validate your options with your local sales team, in addition to DSXchange.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
laxman.ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laxman.ds »

Thank you so much for the resources. It would help our understanding in better way. However we will be checking with IBM on the other hand.
laxman.ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laxman.ds »

The Cores/PVUs consumed for Engine tier need to be considered for DS, QS, IA product license. If Services / MetaDataRep installed on separate machines, those Cores/PVU need not to be considered for these engine products. While on the other hand for IGC, Max Cores/PVUs consumed for Services tier Or Engine tier only matters.