Missing Jobs from Director

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Kriskanth
Premium Member
Premium Member

Missing Jobs from Director

Post by Kriskanth »

Hi,

I have weird situation and I would like to understand what is going wrong here.

Jobs that I developed are compiled and executed and I am able to see them in Designer and Director till yesterday; all of a sudden today they are not visible in DS director. But, I can see in Designer and it is happening only to my folder. I can only see the Main folder but not its sub folder and jobs in Director. After doing some analysis, I found that, whenever i open a job inside the folder in designer, that corresponding job and subfolder started appearing immediately in Director. What would be happening here, anyone can throw some light. FYI, We dont have specific DS Admin, team lead is taking care of some of the admin activities, if we are not able to resolve, we raise a ticket/PMR and get it resolve with IBM. We recently moved from 8.x to 9.x. Is this something to do with regular maintenance activity or any memory allocation issues. Just wanted to understand from the Gurus here, the issue and possible resolutions to avoid the similar situation in future.

Thanks for your support in advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Did you have any space issues on the disk / partition where the DataStage projects reside? Sounds to me like your repository (the 'legacy' Universe side, not XMETA) could be corrupted as the Director takes a different path through the jobs to get status information than the Designer does to get design time code.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

We run into that situation from time to time. I have had good luck sometimes on DataStage 8.7 by using the SyncProject utility with the -fix option. I have had better results with the utility correcting the problem on DataStage 11.3. Here is a doc link.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledge ... gproj.html
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

As qt_ ky suggests, try SyncProject.

It appears to me that the tree in Designer gets populated from the local repository; while the Director tree appears to get populated from XMETA.

The 2 repositories are probably out of sync.

Mike
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Mike wrote:It appears to me that the tree in Designer gets populated from the local repository; while the Director tree appears to get populated from XMETA.
I think its other way round. Designer from XMETA and director from Local repository.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Missing Jobs from Director

Post by rkashyap »

Kriskanth wrote:We recently moved from 8.x to 9.x.
SyncProject or even opening jobs in Designer would force the runtime repository to be updated, so this is your tactical fix.

However what you are seeing may be symptom of a bigger problem. Ensure that you have sufficient space and are patched up. It may be a good idea to contact Support ... there are quite a few patches available on 9.x and sometimes "Problem Summary" in APAR does not cover all possibilities. eg . As per JR47525's summary it is for "non-English locales" only ... however it was needed to fix a Designer/Director out-of-sync issue on English locale clients.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The Director list of jobs queries the server-side DataStage project DS_JOBS while the Designer tree view queries the xmeta repository. If the job appears in Designer but not in Director, it means the job is in the xmeta repository, but not in the UV repository or they have become corrupted.
The above Technote has different instructions that sometimes work, but not always. When that fails, the SyncProject utility usually fixes the remaining inconsistencies.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Kriskanth
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Kriskanth »

Thank you so much for your valuable inputs. As you all mentioned, we have identified the space issue as well as anticipating the repository out of sync. Contacting the IBM support. Appreciate your support Chulett, qt_ky, Mike, PriyadarshiKunal, rkashyap.

I will update the forum once I have the additional information.

DSXchange rocks!