job hangs on RESET

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

job hangs on RESET

Post by hsahay »

Hi

Another strange problem.

Our unix script issues the dsjob command to reset a job.

dsjob run -mode RESET -wait <proj> <jobname>

After issuing the command, The script hangs.

Once this happens, all subsequent unix scripts submitted also start hanging after issuing the reset command.

The jobs can be RESET directly from director.

This server has been working fine for last 2-3 years.

Now since last year every 2-3 weeks, this has started happening.

Once we reboot the machine, it starts working okay again until 2-3 weeks later when the problem returns.

We opened a ticket with IBM. They had no idea what could be causing it. So they made us set smaller and smaller auto-purge option on our jobs. Finally after setting auto purge to 2 days, we managed to run without a problem for over 3 months. Today the problem happened again. We called them and they had us have the dsdlockd daemon running again - which for some reason was disabled by somebody on our installation.

Keeping my fingers crossed. In the meanwhile if anybody has any idea where/what to look for, please let me know .....

By the way, We have already started the migration to 11.3.1 but it will take us atleast another 4-6 months to put 11.3.1 in production. So we are stuck with 8.1 for now and can't keep having this on our production system every 2-3 weeks.
vishal
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Enabling dsdlockd should have been the first suggestion you had from support. This is a process that automatically cleans up locks held by defunct processes (among other things).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

Thanks Ray.
Hoping this would fix the issue.

We will monitor it for another few months and hopefully it won't happen again before we complete our migration to 11.3.1
vishal