Deleting jobs in bulk

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

attu
Participant

Deleting jobs in bulk

Post by attu »

Hi,
We have a very large project where we have identified obsolete jobs ( ~6 to 7 k) .. What is the best approach to delete all those obsolete jobs ?

I would prefer deletion via istool and script it. Currently waiting on a patch for istool.

Appreciate feedback from DS users,

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Wondering... 6 or 7 thousand out of how many?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

One option is using Director, View menu, uncheck Show Folders, wait for full jobs list to display at once, click a column header such as 'Last ran' to sort by last run time. Assuming you want to delete jobs that haven't run in a long time, multiple select them using Shift or Ctrl and hit the delete key.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you do that, make sure you turn off the automatic refresh!
-craig

attu
Participant

Post by attu »

Thanks for the replies. I already tired that, there are too many jobs (15k) and Director takes for ever to load the jobs.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Yes, it would not be fast, but once you do it, it would be faster each time. It's not like you have to sit and wait for it. Just open it up and check back later.

I thought projects had a physical limit of around 5K jobs, so I am surprised you have 15K in a single project.

Hopefully you already have a full project backup, such as a dsx or isx file. An alternative is to edit your backup and import only what you want to keep into a new project, then delete the old project.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That limit is O/S dependent, from what I recall.

And I counsel... patience.
-craig

electajay
Participant

Post by electajay »

I think there is limit on number of directories or files that you can create under project directory. Once that limit is reached you can not create or edit or open any jobs. we more than 10K jobs in a project.
A Kumar