Job sequencer problem

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kumarjit
Participant

Job sequencer problem

Post by kumarjit »

Is there any way that I can manipulate the individual activities in a job sequencer to execute at different intervals?

Please help.
And if there's any further information required,do revert.

Regards,
Kumarjit.
Pain is the best teacher, but very few attend his class..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumarjit
Participant

Post by kumarjit »

Thank Heavens that I finally get to have the MASTER of the Business reply on my post... :)

But Ray, "No" as in?
Do you mean to say that if there are three activities in a sequencer, and if I require to configure the second activity not to run on the last day of every month, I wont be able to do so.

Please clarify if I'm right.

Regards,
Kumarjit.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Not everyone can read your mind. Your original question was quite vague. Adding an example later helps a bit, later...
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Now that you've clarified things a bit, all that takes is something to check for the last day and a custom trigger expression to bypass the second job when it comes up true. And a Sequencer to stitch the flow back together again.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Note that what Craig suggested is not "manipulating individual activities". His approach is to use custom triggers to determine whether the activities run at all. This is a valid approach. But, again, your overall requirement remains vague. You'll need to tighten your specification before you even look at implementing it using a DataStage sequence.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Correct - my reply was specific to the hypothetical, hoping at some point you'll come back and clarify exactly what it is you need to do or meant to ask. Still though, nothing can be 'manipulated' per se - you design the sequence to run or not run individual activities as needed.
-craig

kumarjit
Participant

Post by kumarjit »

Thanks to Craig for giving me a direction to walk towards.
And pardon me for the usage of inappropriate English as in "manipulate", because all I wanted to know is that if there's any way that I can skip/not let a constituent activity in a job sequencer to get executed on a specific day/time.

I will try and run across as much help I can find over the net, but I still would appreciate if any one comes with any.

Regards,
Kumarjit.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I already did... I undid the premium bits so you can see the whole messages as there wasn't all that much you couldn't. Let us know if you need any other clarifications.
-craig

kumarjit
Participant

Post by kumarjit »

Thanks to all of you for the feedbacks.

@ Craig: I'll try and write a custom trigger expression and see if that works.
Will keep you'all posted on my findings..... :)

Regards,
Kumarjit.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

One solution would be a custom routine, one that checks the current date/time for the conditions you require and then passes back true or false. Your triggers coming from the Routine Activity stage can use that answer to know what to do (or not do) next.
-craig

kumarjit
Participant

Post by kumarjit »

@Craig: I'm trying to use a Nested Condition stage and set up a Custom Trigger expression which checks whether the @DAY is equal to the last day of the current month.
But the challenge here is I'm not being able to use any Datastage System variable like @DAY or @MONTH or @DATE to get the last day of the current month.
Is this possible by any means?
Please suggest.

Regards,
Kumarjit.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Try using the User Variables stage.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Me, I'd still write a routine. [shrug]

So - what's your WORKAROUND? In my mind there's nothing broken here that needs to be "worked around" so it's either resolved or it isn't. The fact that there are multiple resolutions and you may not have implemented the one you wanted doesn't make it a work around.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why can't you use @DAY? This is the day portion (as a number) of the current date. It's a system variable.

You might make use of (@DAY + 1) = 1 to detect the last day of the current month.