Purging the XMETA LOGGING_LOGGING table

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jdinero
Participant

Purging the XMETA LOGGING_LOGGING table

Post by jdinero »

Can anyone tell me if purging the LOGGING_LOGGINGEVENT has any effect on the Job logs found in Director? Our XMETA table space is running low, so I want to cleanup, but I am not finding much to clean up but this table. I am worried if I delete these entries, I will no longer be able to see the job logs in Director for troubleshooting?

I am unclear on the different types of logging available, but I need to reduce the XMETA stuff and do not quite know what the XMETA is used for?

Any help is appreciated.
-Jennifer
eph
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eph »

Hi,

You can purge the table up to the date you want to keep logs. Obviously the respective logs will be removed from the director and you will only see the ones you kept.

Eric
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The only time I have seen our XMETA size increase to an extreme is when the debug level logging was enabled within the Info Server Web Console while debugging a PMR and then the original logging level was not restored in a timely manner. Self/Manual XMETA clean up was done which in turn caused more problems leading to another PMR.

Our XMETA is now down to around 20 GB whereas during the crisis it approached 500 GB. So I would recommend working through Support to begin with rather than taking a stab at it without their guidance.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Agreed. Especially considering you not being aware of what XMETA is used for.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eph
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eph »

Hi,

I agree that xmeta should not be purged manually without support agreement.
Sometimes the xmeta growth is due to poor autopurge settings/lots of warnings thrown/lots of job runs/too many debug options activated, and it seems that 8.1 (version previously given in the thread before split up) was very sensitive to the amount of data in the xmeta.

ps: don't know why the thread was split up, but here is the original one with two links to IBM technotes about xmeta logs which still can be useful.

Eric
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for the link back, forgot that bit.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers