Job ID for Multiple Instances

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

altruist
Participant

Job ID for Multiple Instances

Post by altruist »

Hi,

I am creating generic jobs for various purposes, however, I am concerned about the Job id that gets assigned to the multiple instances.

Will all invocations of a job pick the same job id ? If so, I might exceed limits on RT_LOGxxx table
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Clarify for us exactly what you mean by "job id". I'm assuming you mean job number so...

You need to realize that it is still just a single job being run multiple times simultaneously and all log entries still just go into the 'normal' log table. Think of you checking in the Director for a single instance's log records as utilizing a view into the table, one that constrains the select to just the records associated with that Invocation ID.

So yes, you could blow out your log table rather easily. Which means you need to set an appropriate auto purge type and frequency for the way you are managing the invocations.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can resize the RT_LOGxxx table to use 64-bit addressing if this is going to become a real issue. That, and design jobs that log as few entries as possible - for example switch off progress reporting in Sequential File and Connector stages.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.