Source Code Control - Version 9.1

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Source Code Control - Version 9.1

Post by nvalia »

Hi,

Is there any specific Source Code Control tool that works best with Information Server V9.1 (mainly usage is Datastage)?

We are considering Rational suite - ClearQuest and ClearCase

Any suggestions around the tool we can use especially considering the cost and ease of use

Does Microsoft Team Foundation work well with Information Server?

Thanks and appreciate your help,
VN
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I have yet to find any source control system that integrates well with DataStage.

Most of the projects that I've been on that require source control will do this via exports from DataStage, usually at a project level since doing it at a job and routine level is just too much overhead. I've never been successful in integrating a "check-out" and "check-in" process or procedure via any source control system. Luckily DataStage elements are 1W-nR (1 writer/editor and n readers), so it is possible to ensure that no two versions of a job are simultaneously being edited.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Through Information Server Manager (or its command line interface istool) you can check-in and check-out DataStage and other components. For non-IBM source code control systems this is managed through the Eclipse download for the particular product. IBM source code control systems are directly supported.

However, this interface does not enforce the rule that a component must be checked out to be worked on. You must implement this via management practices.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mchivuku
Participant

Post by mchivuku »

ray.wurlod wrote:Through Information Server Manager (or its command line interface istool) you can check-in and check-out DataStage and other components. For non-IBM source code control systems this is managed throug ...
Ray,

May I know if the IS Manager ensures a checked out object is no more editable through the Designer client and a check in makes a new version of the same code (if there were changes)?

Thanks,
Priya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Currently it does not.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The Information Server Manager User's Guide (for 11.3) has instructions for configuring Rational ClearCase as well as Rational Team Concert. We do not have either tool, so having developers follow a self created process document is key.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius