DataStage upgrade from 7.5.1 A to 9.1.2

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kmk
Participant

DataStage upgrade from 7.5.1 A to 9.1.2

Post by kmk »

Hi,

Is it possible directly upgrade the Datastage 7.5.1 to 9.1.2

or

we need migrate it first 8.7 and then 9.1.2

Could you please share more links to hlep this.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

8.7 gets mentioned in upgrade scenarios because you can do an "in place" upgrade to higher versions from there. You can go from any lower version to 9.1 using the full stand-alone "export / import" process. Well, any within reason, of course. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DKostelnik
Participant

Post by DKostelnik »

I am in the same boat - going from 7.5.1 to 9.1.2.

There is no direct migration path. Your best bet is to build a completely new 9.1.2 environment and use the command-line import command for the individual projects. You may find that you have to run a fix on your 7.5.1 projects (research OCI8TO9.B). Don't expect the import to fix any of the "bad code" in the 7.5.1 projects when they are imported. You will have issues with the 7.5.1 jobs running in 9.1.2 just because so much has been changed and the slop/workarounds in 7.5.1 won't translate nicely in 9.1 (I think we are/were mostly dinged in Transformation Stages).

I would highly resist any attempt to migrate to v8 and then to v9. Migrations are nasty and you may end-up with more of a headache than you needed. Installing a fresh 9.1.2 installation will guarantee the installation is as best as it can be. In either case (migration or export/import), you will have to fix some of your jobs.
Doug
AAA Auto Club Group
Listen to:
Porcupine Tree
Nosound
Days Between Stations
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I've done a number of upgrades in the past and feel that if the application has gone into production and isn't just a sandbox or development system then the most reliable and stress-free method is to create a new environment from scratch and use the export and import method to migrate jobs.

Even when an upgrade has been successful, the first time an unexplainable error occurs there will be questions raised as to whether the cause might have been something to do with the upgrade. I've had to do a clean install after an upgrade for just this reason (it turned out not to have made a difference) - but this increases the total work involved.