uniVerse tables and XMETA tables

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

m_mani87
Participant

uniVerse tables and XMETA tables

Post by m_mani87 »

Hi ,

I was digging certain things regading uniVerse tables and XMETA tables.
Im wondering why two types of repositories are present idatastage .
I believe uniVerse tables includes DS_JOBS,DS_AUDITS,DS_OBJECTS etc and XMETA tables include tables like XMETA********.

What is the need for two repositories and what are its specific uses and differences?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

XMETA supports the new topology and integration into the Infosphere platform, uniVerse is for legacy support... and I do believe all of the legacy structures are duplicated in XMETA.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
m_mani87
Participant

Post by m_mani87 »

You mean the legacy file repository of uniVerse and the Database repository of 8.x versions? . I thought it was for different purposes two repository was present. So we can get all the information in XMETA that we get in uniVerse?
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

There is no definitive answer to that. A lot of information is duplicated but not all the information present in XMETA is present in uniVerse or vice-versa.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

To add to Priyadarshikunal's post... DataStage internally uses both the XMETA repository and uniVerse. eg.
1. XMETA Repository - is used to construct the tree displayed by the Designer client and can be queried directly via DStageWrapper -query
2. uniVerse's DS_JOBS file - the indexes on this file are used to construct the tree visible in the Director client.

In case of discrepancy between Repository and uniVerse, the DataStage project gets corrupted.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The key question here is not one vs the other, but "what are you trying to accomplish?". Metadata from ionformation Server for DataStage can be garnered in LOTs of ways.....

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
m_mani87
Participant

Post by m_mani87 »

thanks a lot all..Guess that answered my question