Error Logging

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sezerman
Participant

Error Logging

Post by sezerman »

Hi,

I have a sequence job that executes 25 parallel jobs parallelly. I connected all these parallel jobs to a sequencer and I want to send an e-mail to my team that shows which job is failed and what was the error. Is it possible ? I couldn't find this on forum. Can you tell me what to do ?

Thanks,,

Erman
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could have an Email Notification stage at the end of a custom trigger that 'fires' if any of the jobs fail. And then the simplest solution is to check the option that says something like "Include Job Status" in the email. It won't be all pretty like but it will list the jobs that ran and their status so you'll know which one failed. Then someone can go investigate.

You figuring out which one(s) failed and getting the actual fatal error messages from the job's log into the email is a wee bit more work.
Last edited by chulett on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use activity variables from the Exception Handler in the subject of the email sent from Notification activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sezerman
Participant

Post by sezerman »

thanks chulett and ray.wurlod,

I already did what chulett suggested but my customer thougth it is too complex to understand.

ray, can you please explain what you suggested. I didin't get it.

Thanks a lot,

Erman
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Too complex? Really? What I'm remembering is a list of jobs from the Sequence and their status - Ran OK, Aborted, etc. And from what I recall the problem child is the last one in the list. But... ok.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Exception Handler has activity variables that report which activity failed, an error number (not much use) and an error message.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.