Director 9.1.2 Changing Projects Issue

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jdinero
Participant

Director 9.1.2 Changing Projects Issue

Post by jdinero »

Hello,

We recently installed 9.1.2 on a box that already had 8.7 running (AIX). We used different ports so that we could have both running at the same time during migration.

Everything seems to work correctly as long as you point to the right port. Here is the issue: :shock:

-8.7 is down, not running on box
-9.1 is up and running perfectly
-while in Designer, click on Run Director. The list of current Projects shows up, but when you change projects, it freezes and eventually gives you the following error:

Connection to the specified host failed or was refused. Check that the DataStage RPC daemon service is running on the hose and that no firewall is blocking the connection. (81016))

This is leading me to believe that somewhere internal to Director, it is looking for the DEFAULT port, which is no longer being used since 9.1.2 was installed with different ports. I did check and it shows the RC running:

server@/u/jdinero> grep dsrpc /etc/services
dsrpc 31538/tcp # RPCdaemon DSEngine@/is/Server/DSEngine
b0bdsrpc 31539/tcp # RPCdaemon DSEngine@/is9/Server/DSEngine
server@/u/jdinero> ps -eaf | grep dsrpc
root 17039512 1 0 Dec 08 - 0:00 /is9/Server/DSEngine/bin/b0bdsrpcd

Does anyone have any other ideas before I log a case with IBM?

I can open directory separately (not through Designer) and can log into each project, but I cannot switch once Director is open.

Thanks,
Jennifer
-Jennifer
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Jennifer,

It sounds like you've correctly diagnosed the problem. Unfortunately I think the port number is buried in the registry, and I do not want to recommend changing it manually. I don't know the exact keys to change and there are hundreds of them scattered throughout the registry under various names (even old "Ascential" ones). Registry changes are also very dangerous since one bad move can immediately trash your PC.

I've seen something like this is when a multi-client manager "swap" didn't work correctly. The first time I was able to fix it by switching back and forth one more time, so the "swap" completed successfully. I'd suggest you try that if you haven't already done it.

The other time the swap didn't fix it and I decided it was faster to take two hours and uninstall / re-install the client, since it could be a couple days to get a response on a PMR.

If you do decide to go the Customer Service route, please post the solution.

[Edit - Does this work for anyone at your company that is running 9.1? If it doesn't, then there's probably a bug regarding the non-default port and it needs to be reported!]
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
jdinero
Participant

Post by jdinero »

This was corrected with a patch from IBM.
-Jennifer
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

when installing 2 different versions of datastage on the same box... I would have a concern with the /.dshome hidden file. I think IBM has some scripts that fetch $DSHOME via that file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

/.dshome is not used for itag installations. The DSHOME environment variable is used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.