Known issues and/or limitations in Datastage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DatastageCoEUser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Known issues and/or limitations in Datastage

Post by DatastageCoEUser »

I'm looking for known issues and/or limitations in the product (any version after 8.5)
Can you please help by providing
1. Version number
2. Exact description of the issue/limitation.

The limitation could be vis-a-vis some other ETL tool like Informatica.

I actually need this information for not only Datastage but for all other products in the Infosphere Information Server portfolio.
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

May we ask why?

As with any complex software that's been around for over a decade, there are thousands of known issues. Each time a new version is released, there is a document outlining them, the ones that have been fixed and the ones that have not been fixed. Perhaps you could research those.

Just don't ask for a list of unknown issues.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

What you've just asked for is the equivalent of saying "please provide me with a list of al features and options for all GM car models, and when possible, compare them against all the competitor's cars".

The InfoSphere Suite is huge. It consists of dozens and dozens of products, each with with various releases that have different capabilities, features, limitations and issues.

Companies like the Gartner Group get paid a lot of money because they assign teams of people to put together studies like that and even then they don't cover all the products or all the releases.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Re: Known issues and/or limitations in Datastage

Post by stuartjvnorton »

DatastageCoEUser wrote:I'm looking for known issues and/or limitations in the product (any version after 8.5)
Can you please help by providing
1. Version number
2. Exact description of the issue/limitation.

The limitation could be vis-a-vis some other ETL tool like Informatica.

I actually need this information for not only Datastage but for all other products in the Infosphere Information Server portfolio.
Thanks
There's asking someone to do your homework for you, and then there's asking someone to write a book for you...
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

...and besides, a better question to ask on this site (which would certainly also yield an entire book) is "why are you using Information Server" and "what benefits has it brought to your organization?" Asking limitations without any context doesn't make a whole lot of sense...there are pros/cons/limits/strengths/positives/negatives to any and every piece of software on the planet. What are the goals/objectives/available resources (including $)/long term costs, etc. etc. etc. that are framing the research question? Every situation is different, making generic comparisons unrealistic.

Page through the forums for this and any other tooling. You'll see a little of everything...but it takes time, and research. Again, that's why the analysts get a lot of money for their reports. ; )

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Note also that analysts such as Gartner also charge a lot of money for their reports.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.