Write Exceptions to File

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iq_etl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Write Exceptions to File

Post by iq_etl »

I've got a sequence with an Exception Handler in it that then leads to a Notification Activity. There's not a lot of data to go on with from just the Notification Activity, so serves more as a 'heads-up' only.

However, I'd like it to be more useful than that.

I'd like the Exception Handler to write the $ErrSource, $ErrNumber, and $ErrMessage to a sequential file, and this file would then be attached to the email send via the Notification Activity.

The above seems like a pretty straightforward way to quickly get access to why the exception was triggered.

So...how to do it?

Between the Exception Handler and Notification Activity would I include a Job Activity that goes to a job which writes the $Err* values to a Sequential File? How do I capture those values in the first place?

Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Expose job parameters to receive these values. In the Job activity set the values for those parameters using the activity variables from the Exception Handler.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.