records as parameter to DB

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kennyapril
Participant

records as parameter to DB

Post by kennyapril »

Hello everyone,

I have a column by name table_name which has all the table names in it,I need to send those table names as parameter to a select query in an ODBC stage.

Please let me know how can I pass that column records to the table name in that query

Thank you!
Regards,
Kenny
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Are they on the same database? If so, I'd leave DataStage out of it, just use a SQL sub-query to grab the first list of names and feed it to the main query. If it requires more complexity then I'd use a stored procedure. You can then execute a Stored Procedure Stage to get the data from that sequence into a job if you need it.

If not, then you'll need two separate jobs in a job sequence. First job grabs the names and passes them back to the job sequence, which feeds them to the next job as a a parameter.

If you search you should find several posts on feeding data back to a job sequence for the next job. I'd suggest writing a simple Server job that sets the UserStatus variable to the list of names. Then it can be fed to the parallel job for processing.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

Thank you Andy!

Yes it is the same Database.Please find below the sample structure

table_name (comes from Table1)
Table1--------------->Table2(select field1, field2 from table_name ) is the query where the table_name should be taken from the Table1 table.

Please suggest how to store that value and pass it in the query for the Table2 in parallel job

Thanks again
Thanks,
Surya
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

suryadev wrote:Please suggest how to store that value and pass it in the query for the Table2 in parallel job
He did.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

Yes, we can write a subquery and feed it to the main query for the table_name information I am looking for but the issue is the table_name is not a straight field which can be pulled from the sub query. I did pull it from an other table and did some transformations for that value, now that value is the table_name which has to be fed to the main query?

any other way to do it with out using two parallel jobs and putting them in a sequence ?

Thank you!
Thanks,
Surya
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you need to manipulate the value and then send it in as a job parameter then you'll need two jobs and a Sequence. And he specifically noted a Server job for the first step so you can leverage USERSTATUS which makes the transfer of data between the jobs trivial.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers