How to handle NULL values coming from DB side?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Prince_Hyd
Participant

How to handle NULL values coming from DB side?

Post by Prince_Hyd »

Hello Folks

I have a source as DB and i'm getting NULL values from that so i want to replace them with char value eg(XXX) how can i perform it?

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Option 1 - do the conversion/replacement in the DB SELECT, using DML such as "COALESCE".
Option 2 - use NullToValue(), NullToZero() or NullToEmpty() in a DataStage transform stage.
abhinavagarwal
Participant

Post by abhinavagarwal »

Hi above solution can be implemented but it depends what processing power you have with you and what data volume you have with you.

Use option 1 , while you have less CPU cycle in datastage and good CPU cycles and less data volume.

Use option 2 , while you have large data volume and moderate or good CPU cycles available at datastage.

The point is we should avoid the function "coalesce" as much we can.

Cheers
- Thanks and Regards,
Abhinav Agarwal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

COALESCE isn't really appropriate in this scenario, more like NVL or ISNULL in a CASE statement.

OK... you would normally use coalesce() with a series of columns to return the first non-null value. In pondering this, are we also saying it can be used with column and a fixed value? Say:

COALESCE(MyColumn,"XXX")

To be equivalent to an NVL? If so, never occurred to me to use it like that when you have a dedicated "null to value" function. Interesting.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I seem to remember a time when that was the only available function to me, I can't recall if it was Oracle or another DB; but that's the function I remember and tend to use. Nonetheless I will almost always use the option #2 in real life.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Teradata does not have NVL() function, as discussed here - Teradata does have COALESCE() function.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.