column meaning clarification-LIST DICT

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vamsi.4a6
Participant

column meaning clarification-LIST DICT

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

I tried below command in Datastage Shell
LIST DICT DS_JOBOBJECTS

But not able to understand the meaning of following fields.Any input is really appreciated.

1)Type & FIELD NUMBER
2)FIELD DEFINATION
3)CONVERSION CODE
4)COLUMN HEADINGS
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataStage (or UniVerse/UniData/Rocket) hashed files are a bit different from tables, the data and definitions are completely separate. A row is stored as a string with certain special characters used to logically delineate columns (this would be a @FM, or field mark, then one multiple values per field, @VM or value marks, and even one lower layer of multiple sub-values per value, or @SM.

The DICTionary of a hashed file defines how those strings are interpreted by the list engine and consists of the following main columns:

Code: Select all

1 Type          Usually "D"ata or "I"-type. I-Types are computed fields
2 Number        Field number for "D"ata, Formula code when "I"
3 Conversion    OCONV() type output conversion, usually empty
4 Format        FMT() type display formatting when listed
5 Heading       List column header
6 Field Type    "S"ingle value or "M"ultivalue (Multivalue is with @VM,@SM)
7 Association   Association for "M"ultivalue fields,multiple columns grouped
This is just a quick overview, the details can be found in the old Server documentation or downloaded from Rocket Software.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

TYPE and FIELD NUMBER and FIELD DEFINITION relate to how data are stored, which Arnd as covered. FIELD NUMBER relates to data fields while FIELD DEFINITION relates to computed fields.

The remainder relate to how data are displayed when a query is executed; the default conversion (for example date conversion), the default column heading, the default format, and whether multi-valued fields are associated.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.