C++ Compiler

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

m_mani87
Participant

C++ Compiler

Post by m_mani87 »

Hi,

I know c++ compiler is required to compile a job with transformer.
I have a higher environment which dont have c++ compiler.Can i copy the compiler file from the lower environment? . I could get the path and file from APT_COMPILER environmental variable in lower path.

So will it work on just copying the file? If not as a developer how could i install the C++ compiler?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is illegal to copy licensed software to additional machines. Provided that the machines are of the same class, you should be able to move the compiled executables (objects, libraries) to the other machine without needing to have a C++ compiler on the second machine. If you want the compiler on the additional machine, you must purchase another licence for it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What OS are you on? The c++ compiler is free on some but not on others.
m_mani87
Participant

Post by m_mani87 »

Andrew, We are using Unix OS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Unix" covers a multitude of operating systems, including AIX, HP-UX, Solaris and Linux. The compiler is different for each. Can you be more specific? As a general rule compilers for Unix operating systems are not free.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Arnd" <> "Andrew" even with a trailing capital "W".
m_mani87
Participant

Post by m_mani87 »

Ray, It is AIX
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You can get a temporary free test version of the compiler on AIX from download central, but the actual compiler is not free of charge, so technically you cannot copy the executable from one environment to another (unless you are at a site which has different licensing rules with IBM, you would need to check your entitlement).
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Or simply don't compile in PROD. Extract from your DEV/QA with executables.

(I'm not a big fan of compiling in PROD.)