AIX Space requirements for v9.1

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

altruist
Participant

AIX Space requirements for v9.1

Post by altruist »

Hi,

We are planning to install v9.1 on AIX box. I have the below structure on my AIX box

Code: Select all

/opt 
/var
/usr
/tmp
/admin
/proc
/opt
I went through the requirements document and it mentions that Installation of each component requires the below specified space

Code: Select all

Metadata Repository - 6.7 GB
Services Tier - 5.2 GB
Engine Tier - 3.7 GB
Will it suffice to say that /opt directory needs to have atleast 15.6 GB (OR) do I need to take into consideration any other directories such as /tmp or /var etc.

I am planning to have project, resource and scratch directory separate.
altruist
Participant

Post by altruist »

I just came up with a document mentioning that we need to have /tmp and /var/tmp directories with high I/O. but didn't mention their sizes

Appreciate your help on this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just for installation, or are you scoping run-time as well?

The Planning, Installation and Configuration Guide on-line has good utilities for estimating installation disk space. Additional temporary space that can be reclaimed after installation is also needed.

Projects don't need a whole lot.

Data Sets (resource disk) need an amount that depends on how much you're planning to store in Data Sets.

You need lots of scratch disk (resource scratchdisk). No, more than that.

You also may need lots of database space, for example four to five times the volume of data to be profiled in IADB, and maybe lots for DSODB if you're planning to keep process metadata indefinitely.

So, in a word, MORE.

The definitive website for system requirements is here - enter "InfoSphere Information Server" as the product name and select 9.1 as the Version. Choose Operating System as the scope of the report and choose AIX. Then click Submit

Note particularly that the values given here do not take account of the volumes of data you will be processing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
altruist
Participant

Post by altruist »

Hi Ray,

This is a training server, so at max I might have only 1-2 million records in all datasets combined.

1) Based on my understanding /opt directory should have atleast 15.6 GB based on the below mentioned requirements in the link that you have provided. This include both Installation and components.
Services Tier - 5.2 GB
Engine Tier - 3.7 GB
2) For Project Directory - 1 GB
3) For Scratch Disk and Resource Disk - 2 GB each
4) /var and /tmp - 1 GB each

Do you think it might suffice to have the above allocation
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Probably not. How large are these records? Are you using Information Analyzer? Are you using DataStage Operations Console? Are you using QualityStage? Each of these requires database space on the Engine tier.

As noted earlier, allow 4-5 times the volume of data to be profiled for IADB.
Allow approximately the same for scratchdisk. (Search DSXchange for the number of times people have exhausted their scratchdisk.)

The figures you gave will probably work, but you need to allocate more than that even if you don't initially expose it all on your LPAR, so that when your monitoring reveals an upcoming need for more space, you can easily allocate the same.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
altruist
Participant

Post by altruist »

We are going to install all components of Infosphere Suite (including Information Analyzer, Quality Stage, fasttrack etc.). I am not aware of DataStage Operations Console, but we are planning to install all.

The whole installation is for training purpose, so I am guessing at max we might have avg 30 fields with 20 chars each with 1-2 million records. Looks like this is 8 GB Total.

1) For Project Directory - 1 GB
2) For Scratch Disk and Resource Disk - 8 GB each
3) /var and /tmp - 1 GB each

Since I have 15.6 GB as per the requirement. I am planning to go with 20 GB
Services Tier - 5.2 GB
Engine Tier - 3.7 GB
One more quick question, we are planning to install v8.1 on the same server. Is this possible ?