Infinity loop into Sequence

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

soportesis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Infinity loop into Sequence

Post by soportesis »

Hello,

I need to make an infinity loop into a sequence job. Somebody know if that is posible? I have tried with startloop and endloop stages but in its properties I didn't find how to define it.

In my design I don't have a list or a fix number to limit the iterations into the loop, neither I have a file that I can use to wait for it.

Tnks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't and trust me you don't want one. Make sure the job stops on some kind of a regular basis, even if it's only for a minute or two so files can flush and logs can purge, etc etc.

My last one like that ran 24x7 but it ran 23:55 minutes a day, shutting down at that time and then scheduled to start at midnight .
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
prasson_ibm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasson_ibm »

Hi,
You can not implement imfinite loop in sequence,but it can have many iterations like 1 to 9999999. But as chullet said,sequences need to be stopped and retriggered again in limited period of time.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should also build in a mechanism for notifying it to stop (or, at least, to stop at the next iteration). Typically a file coming into existence would serve as a "stop" flag. This can be checked easily with a Wait For File activity or an Execute Command activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Right, pretty much always build something of that nature in. Not for the daily stop and take a breather but for an emergency stop so it can be as graceful as possible.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers