Director Log and Max Number of Invocations Displayed

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jonesv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Director Log and Max Number of Invocations Displayed

Post by jonesv »

Hi,

I have a set of multi-instance jobs. 11 invocations of these jobs are initiated via a loop in a shell scirpt. When we invoke all 11 instnaces of the job, I can see them all running in Director. But as they complete, some are removed from the Director log, and I only end up seeing 4 or 5 invocations out of the 11 that were started. Is there a project setting that determines how many invocations are kept in Director?

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes and no. There is a project setting for Auto Purge which controls when logs get removed. It can be set for X days or X runs and can be overridden at the individual job level. Don't forget that a MI job is still just a single job under the covers sharing one log table and each "instance" in the Director is like a "View" of a subset of that table.

Check in the Director for that job under the 'Purge logs' option, along with performing a manual purge there you can override the project level setting. You may have to bump up the number there, or switch to days rather than runs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jonesv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jonesv »

Thanks for responding.

I am not talking about how ds purges log entries...I am talking about how many invocations you see when in Director's Status view. I ran 11 different instances of a paticular job, and while they were running, I say all 11 instances in the Status view. But then as they completed, some of them "disapeared" from the Status view, and when all all 11 instances completed, I only see 4 or 5 of the invocations in the Status view.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Because they were purged. At least that's what I thinking. It's a common 'issue' with MI jobs.

There is a filter but that controls the number of entries to show in an individual log. You can try bumping that up and see if that changes anything.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jonesv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jonesv »

Found the problem. The powers-that-be changed the following User Define Environment Variable for the project:

DS_NO_INSTANCE_PURGING

They changed it from "1" (don't purge) to "0" (purge).

I changed it back and that seemed to do the trick. I will mark this as resolved.

Thanks for your help!
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

This was already mentioned by Craig the the purging logs is causing it to remove the instances.

If you disable purging on this job which is running like 11 times in one run, you should seriously think about increasing the number of days or number of runs in Auto Purge settings rather than disabling purge.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink: