Install Directory and Project Directory

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

synsog
Premium Member
Premium Member

Install Directory and Project Directory

Post by synsog »

Hi

DS 8.7 on Window 2008 R2

We have Infosphere Information Server successfully installed and Datastage jobs are running fine.
It has been installed in the default C drive on the server C:\IBM\InformationServer and the projects are under C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\Projects,but since the C drive is not backed up on the server, the req is to move it to a shared netowrk drive (which is backed up daily)..

Question
1. Will this need a complete re-install?
2. Is it possible to have the datasatge projects reside on a shared network drive and point to the install path C:\IBM\InformationServer by changing some setting?
e.g Projects under H:\Projects
3. Any other way this can be achieved?
4. what is the Best Practice in this context?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Install Directory and Project Directory

Post by chulett »

I think a full re-install is in your future but I'll let others who know for certain reply. However, I did just have to say...
synsog wrote:but since the C drive is not backed up on the server
Seriously? :shock:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

First of all, your bigger problem is that your main installation directory isn't being backed up, much less the projects. Best practice is to get BOTH backed up. I'm not certain what impact using a network drive would be on your DataStage performance, a lot would depend on network latency, bandwidth and other factors. But you might want to investigate moving everything to a network drive to get it all backed up.

Last time I checked, IBM doesn't have a certified procedure to move the DataStage home directory. To do that you must do a re-install. If you are going to do a re-install then you might as well backup your projects and reload them post-installation. Make sure to get everything - jobs, custom routines, shared containers, parameter sets, environment variables, etc. etc.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvalia »

I believe on Windows there would be a few entries in the Registry as well, so does need to be backed up as well along with Install and Project Directories?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Usually Registry is on the C: drive, so backing that up does back up the Registry. Of course you can back up the Registry separately if you wish. Periodically cleaning and defragmenting the Registry is also good practice.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.