Jobno and Wave# from Job

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suja.somu
Participant

Jobno and Wave# from Job

Post by suja.somu »

From the Job status detail window of the director. There is Job no and wave# alogn with other details like Project, Server and Status.

What is this Job No and Wave # ? How can I extract this information from Job ?
wwilliamson
Participant

Post by wwilliamson »

According to the documentation, Wave Number is "An internal number used when the job is run." Based on the results of a Google search http://www.google.com/search?q=DataStage+Wave+internal+number this number is used to refer to the log entries of a particular run of the selected job (wave zero refers to the most recent run). You can use the below command to retrieve all log entries for the most recent job run (i.e. wave 0).

Code: Select all

dsjob -logdetail {Project} {Job Name}
If you want to see the log entries for a prior run you can specify which wave to return by adding the -wave option and specifying a number greater than zero.

Code: Select all

dsjob -logdetail {Project} {Job Name} -wave {wave number}
Take a look at the dsxchange post at the following link: Satheesh had a similar question. viewtopic.php?t=137418

As for Job No, this one's not even mentioned in the 9.1 documentation, but it appears to be an internal identifier for a particular job. Job No is obviously unique and appears to correlate to the resources in the project folder (i.e. C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\Projects\YourProject). As an example the latest job I created received Job No 659, and in the project folder on the file system, there are 8 new folders with that number in the name. It's important to note that this number doesn't appear to be explicitly tied to the job itself, and my 659 job would likely receive a different number if I exported it and imported it on a different server (or even the same server). Take a look at the developerworks post at the following link for a lead on extracting jobno http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forum ... dID=127296.

Edit: Corrected a URL
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There is another "job number" that this could be referencing. That's an alias you can assign to a job if the job's name is long and unwieldy so you can reference the number in the dsjob command rather than the name.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

JOBNO =nnn is an internal identifier that maps to respective RT_BPnnn [ Basic programs - like Basic code for your server transfomer stages ] , RT_BPnnn.O [ Object code ??? ] , RT_CONFIGnnn ( Stage & Links list + other info ) and RT_LOGnnn(Job Log ) files for that job in the UV Metadata reportory ( Project UV Account) - Of course a seasoned Ex Datastage Product person like Ray can throw better light on these .
Not sure where this is headed given the evolution of Xmeta.

The link between job No and the Job Name /identifier is maintained in the UV Table/File <PROJECTNAME>.DS_JOBS.
Thanks
Ramesh