How to run the EXCUTE COMMAND stage parallal

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jpsathish26
Participant

How to run the EXCUTE COMMAND stage parallal

Post by jpsathish26 »

In a sequencer, I have to use EXCUTE COMMAND stage to run in parallal. even though we design EXCUTE COMMAND stage run in parallal in sequencer but it is excuting sequencial only. please help out..
SAT J
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

1. This is not a WTX (formerly DataStage TX) question.

2. Sequences do not execute in parallel. Just that. There is one sequence of control, not many.

3. What exactly do you wish to accomplish?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: How to run the EXCUTE COMMAND stage parallal

Post by PaulVL »

jpsathish26 wrote:In a sequencer, I have to use EXECUTE COMMAND stage to run in parallel. even though we design EXECUTE COMMAND stage run in parallel in sequencer but it is executing sequential only. please help out..
Execute Command stage never runs in parallel unless you drop many of them on the main sequencer to run at the same time.

What you might want to look at is if you run with a configuration file that has multiple nodes (degrees of parallelism) and you wish a script to execute per degree of parallelism... Then you should look at the External Source Stage within a Job.

But... given that you are not familiar with the Execute Command Stage, it's best that you truly understand what you actually want to do before jumping into the External Source Stage process.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

... and here we are in the proper forum.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Rakesh311
Participant

Post by Rakesh311 »

I think his issue is

He is trying to call Multiple script from datastage sequencer in parallel But Datastage is not doing so as he expected.

You can create Separate JOB ACTIVITY for these scripts and call it from your main seq it will work paralley..:)
rAKESH
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Rakesh311 wrote:You can create Separate JOB ACTIVITY for these scripts and call it from your main seq it will work paralley..:)
And how you are proposing to use job activity for calling script?

Paul already mentioned dropping many of execute command stage in sequence job or using external source stage which I think are the correct ways to do that. Even using routines or user variable activity or shell script wrapper to call them without waiting to get the result can be used but that doesn't change the logic.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
Rakesh311
Participant

Post by Rakesh311 »

Even if you gave multiple execute command stage in a sequencer it may not work parallel especially if you are calling same script with different parameter.

For that if we create this execute command as separate seq job and if we call it as Job activity it will work in parallel.

Of course we can use external source stage for this requirement,
I just suggested one more way to do it.

Regards,
rAKESH