DataStage BASIC Syntax Highlighting Scheme

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage BASIC Syntax Highlighting Scheme

Post by haylo75 »

I posted this announcement to my InfoSphere groups on LinkedIn, but thought it might help to post here as well.
-----

Our team works with DataStage BASIC every day. I use syntax highlighting cues to quickly analyze code, and miss that a lot when working with the DataStage Designer BASIC editor. To bridge the gap, I developed a syntax highlighting scheme for use with Notepad++. See my github repository for details on installation and usage. Feedback is welcome, and if you spot any problems feel free to open an issue on the repository. I hope some folks find this useful!

https://github.com/kerryshireman/dsbasic-npp-udl
The middle of every successful project looks like a disaster -- Rosabeth Moss Cantor
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Good Work. The DS Basic syntax highlighter is available for Text Pad already and I have been using it to debug code that is very long.
haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by haylo75 »

Thanks! I did see the syntax highlighter for Text Pad as well. I prefer Notepad++, so it's good to have options. :)
The middle of every successful project looks like a disaster -- Rosabeth Moss Cantor
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

FYI - There is also a syntax file available for UltraEdit for anyone using that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by haylo75 »

Thanks, Craig, I didn't know about the UltraEdit option. I tried the link I found in this thread, but it is dead. I checked it out via the first Google hit for "datastage basic ultraedit" -- http://www.ultraedit.com/files/wf/datastagebasic.uew

It's a workable solution, but I found it lacks support for much of the documented syntax when loading the sample DataStage_BASIC_syntax.dsb file included in my repository. Also, and this is important for me, there is no distinction between BASIC statements and functions in the UltraEdit syntax definition. These things said, the implementation can certainly be updated for all BASIC syntax, and possibly the statement / function delineation. I'm not a regular UltraEdit user, and can't gauge whether there would be much demand for such a retrofit. If folks post desire for that here, I'd be happy to take a look.

On another note, I see the TextPad implementation in the above mentioned thread is pretty complete as of its writing in 2004.