Datastage Sequence : Strange Behaviour

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage Sequence : Strange Behaviour

Post by rameshrr3 »

We are encountering a strange issue with one of our Job Sequences

The Jobs sequence calls many jobs in serial ( tandem) . If any job aborts , it calls an abort routine( behaves similarly to terminator activity , but prints last job's
activity variable values to log)

One of the jobs was set to run after a few days so we set it to "Validate-Only" ( we made changes to the sequencer to call this job though )
On day one the job was called in "Validate Only " mode , and finished with Validated OK . The Sequencer called all subsequent jobs and finished with no issue
On day 2 , The sequencer aborted inexplicably after the job was called and completed with " Validated OK" . No useful error message was logged.

The Outputs of the job that goes for Validation are Failed(Conditional) and Otherwise. Failed will result in Abort routien being called after an email being sent.
Otherwise means the next job in sequence is called.

The Error message ( fatal warning ) was this

Code: Select all

JCMIM000EBUSnightlyPostDataFlux..JobControl (fatal error from UtilityAbortToLog): USER INFO: EBUS nitely POST aborted JOB=> JCMIM000EBUSnightlyPostDataFlux STAGE=> JobControl LINK=> -8
But analysis revelals this is the call to the abort routine I mentioned earlier - which means the Failed condition was triggered from the Validate job activity .

I reset the job sequence to see if i could garner any other nuggets of information - but nothing useful turned up

This was an Info message ( during seq reset) that I thought will help me , but it refereed back to the sequencer itself and was most likely the call to the abort routine.

Code: Select all

From previous run 
DataStage Job 3190 Phantom 13075
Job Aborted after Fatal Error logged.
Program "DSD.WriteLog": Line 250, Abort.
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage JCMIM000EBUSnightlyPostDataFlux..JobControl

DataStage Phantom Aborting with @ABORT.CODE = 1
Anybody familiar with this ?
I have many workarounds , but do want to get this mystery unravelled.
Last edited by rameshrr3 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sudha03_vpr
Participant

Post by sudha03_vpr »

What does the routine does ? It just captures the log details ?
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Throws an info message and calls DSLogFatal()
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Check the logs for an entry called "Summary of Sequence run", The details in there should reveal all.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Thanks . But I noticed the entry that says Summary of sequence run(...) occurs only if the sequence finished ( Ok or with warnings). The invocation that lead to teh sequence abort does not have teh "Summary of Sequence run (...)" log entry . : :(

As a matter of fact , i read each entry that has an ellipsis in it (...).
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Unless the process dies on the server you should have a summary of sequence run. Which version you are talking about?
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

version 7.5 . I worked around the issue by calling the sub job in Run mode ( using a zero length file) till data starts flowing in.